Do I need a new front and rear drive shaft w/ a SYE kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Do I need a new front and rear drive shaft w/ a SYE kit

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 02-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Do I need a new front and rear drive shaft w/ a SYE kit

Hi which drive shaft do I replace when I put an SYE kit and new driveshaft. Do I have to get a new FRONT and REAR driveshaft O and I have a 96 Cherokee xj auto and a np 242 T-case. ask because I was doing some research and some companys say that it comes with a new rear shaft but others say comes with a new front shaft

96 xj 3.5 rustys lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG MT, t case skid plate, front tow hooks, open front and rear diff, NP-242 T-Case 1 in drop, AW4 transmission, dana 30HP, chyrsler 8.25 stock gears, K&N drop in air filter, flowmaster 40 series, poweraid throtle body spacer
whiteys_red_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...ks-tsbs-89273/

Contains answers to every question in the XJ world.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The rear driveshaft is the one you will be replacing. You replace it with a double cardan driveshaft like the front shaft. Some SYE's allow the use of a stock front driveshaft in the rear. If you look at the two in comparison the rear has a single u-joint at each end and a slip yoke on the t-case end which allows movement of the driveline without binding. The front shaft has a single u-joint at the axle end but two u-joints at the t-case end and a slip joint in the middle section of the shaft. The double cardan shaft can tolerate greater angles without causing vibrations. Hope that helps.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That does help alot . So could I take the front driveshaft out of a junkyard and use that as the rear drive shaft wit the sye kit?
96 xj 3.5 rustys lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG MT, t case skid plate, front tow hooks, open front and rear diff, NP-242 T-Case 1 in drop, AW4 transmission, dana 30HP, chyrsler 8.25 stock gears, K&N drop in air filter, flowmaster 40 series, poweraid throtle body spacer
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yes. That is what a lot of people do.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks bro you just saved me like 200$ on buying a new one I'm going to do that and just replace all the joints

Tags
96 cherokee xj , auto , np 242 , sye kits

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.