Do I need to adjust my speedometer for 30" tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Do I need to adjust my speedometer for 30" tires?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 04-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do I need to adjust my speedometer for 30" tires?

My XJ came with 225/75R15 tires.

Is 30" tire tall enough to need to adjust speedometer?

How far off is my speedo?

Unread 04-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

No it shouldn't be off by more than a couple of mph at 55. My speedometer was actually correct with 29" tires versus the 28" tires it came with.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Check your speeds with the speedo and GPS and see how far it's off. There's always variance in how accurate your speedo is because there's variance in tire size within the same sizes which is why most jurisdictions give you a 5 mph or so leeway in speeding.
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Basically all cars leave the factory reading slightly faster than the actual speed, so larger tires - to a point - correct this. My 31's took me about 10% over the indicated speed. So I just used a GPS and calculated how many percent the actual speed was over the indicated speed, and divided the 30 teeth on my existing gear by that number, and ordered the closest whole number speedo drive gear (had to build it, but that's another story).
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I figured it'd be close. Maybe even dead on. I'll GPS test.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

According to this web site, you will be about 6% high, so when you're doing 62MPH the speedometer will read 66MPH.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...R15/30x9-50R15
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
According to this web site, you will be about 6% high, so when you're doing 62MPH the speedometer will read 66MPH.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...R15/30x9-50R15
Don't you mean the other way round? When doing 66 it will say 62?

In any case, it won't be more than 2 mph off, IMO. I'll test with GPS.
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You can also get a pretty good idea of the calibration by driving by one of those helpful "You are going XX MPH" signs, if you have any in your area. Not really as good as a GPS, but you'll get a good feeling for the error.
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
lostatindo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just get a new speedometer gear http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-sp...ears/index.htm
lostatindo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatindo View Post
It's not always quite that easy. First, there are variations in tire size between tires of the same "size", and then there are variations in the actual vs. indicated speed (normally always with the speedo reading a little faster than actual). Add to this that the increments you're going to make are in approximately 3% jumps, and there's every opportunity to end up with some speedo error if you just go by the chart. Granted, that chart IS a great resource, and starting point... and what I'd use if I couldn't check my actual vs. indicated speed.

Also, notice that you can't get a 27 tooth, short-shaft gear (which is what's needed for us five-speed, original gearing guys with 3.07 diffs who mount true 31" tires). I had to make one by ordering a long-shaft 27 and melting the gear off the long shaft and then onto the short shaft from my original gear. I did the opposite as well, and now have a long-shaft 30 tooth gear if anyone needs one cheap.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That makes my head hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
It's not always quite that easy. First, there are variations in tire size between tires of the same "size", and then there are variations in the actual vs. indicated speed (normally always with the speedo reading a little faster than actual). Add to this that the increments you're going to make are in approximately 3% jumps, and there's every opportunity to end up with some speedo error if you just go by the chart. Granted, that chart IS a great resource, and starting point... and what I'd use if I couldn't check my actual vs. indicated speed.

Also, notice that you can't get a 27 tooth, short-shaft gear (which is what's needed for us five-speed, original gearing guys with 3.07 diffs who mount true 31" tires). I had to make one by ordering a long-shaft 27 and melting the gear off the long shaft and then onto the short shaft from my original gear. I did the opposite as well, and now have a long-shaft 30 tooth gear if anyone needs one cheap.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yea head hurt seriously...according to that website, going from 225 (which i'm really running 235 as my stock size) to 31's when my speedo says 62 i'll be doing 70
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
yea head hurt seriously...according to that website, going from 225 (which i'm really running 235 as my stock size) to 31's when my speedo says 62 i'll be doing 70
The speed is off with stock tires. Your first size increase actually fixes that so it's accurate. Second size increase will make it off a little, like 2 to 3 mph. So no worries. Drive with speedo reading speed limit and no problems.

It's when you go up 3 sizes that it gets off enough to consider fixing.

So with 235 tires speedo would be accurate. With 30 tires speedo would be 2 to 3 mph off. With 31 tires speedo is off enough to give some thought.

With 31 on your Jeep, when your speedo says 62 mph, you'll really be going around 66 mph.

A more useful way to say that is with 31" tires drive 70 mph on speedo and you're actually going approx 75 or 76 mph. So you won't get any tickets with 31" tires if your speedo says you are going 2 mph under speed limit. So no worries. Just drive with speedo saying 68 mph when speed limit is 70 mph and you'll be fine. IMO

Defineately nothing to worry about with 30" tires. Just drive with speedo saying speed limit and you're fine. I'm not going to change speedo gears for 30" tires.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

On an LJ I used to have, it was dead on accurate with 32" tires. With 33 tires it was only about 3 mph off. It was a Rubi that came with came with 31" tires stock.

The dealership told me a tire size increase of 1 size results in an accurate speedometer on a Jeep. I think that is also true of other brands of vehicle..

That is because stock Jeeps read a few mph faster than really driving. It takes 1 tire size increase to correct that.

So 235 on an XJ would give an accurate speedometer, 30 tires would be 2 to 3 mph off, but no problem if you drive with speedo saying speed limit. With 31 tires would be several mph off, like maybe 4 to 6 mph off, but that causes no problems if you drive with speedo saying 2 mph below legal speed limit.
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Be VERY careful. You can't tell a cop an anonymous person on a Jeep forum told you you weren't really speeding....

When I put 31's on my XJ, I was going 10% faster than the speedo indicated (so when the speedo said 60, I was actually going 66mph). My wife got a ticket doing about 50 in a 45 while "driving the speed limit" according to the speedo. Changing to a 27 tooth from my 30 tooth gear exactly corrected the error, which (if you can divide 30 by 27) is that 10% I was seeing.

But this really isn't rocket science. Borrow a GPS, or drive by one of those speed-registering signs, and you'll know what's REALLY going on. Or check your odometer against interstate mileage signs (I was registering 9 miles when I was driving 10, for example).

Or just hope you don't get a ticket, I suppose...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.