Do cherokees have a serpentine belt tensioner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Do cherokees have a serpentine belt tensioner?

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinLedlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Reply
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
SteeSin
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: toms river, NJ
Posts: 82
Do cherokees have a serpentine belt tensioner?

Ive been trying to find auto parts stores local and online and nobody carries a ''Serpentine belt tensioner'' and online i get 0 results, only thing that comes up is a idler pulley. For the problem im having ive been told i need a tensioner but cant find it anywhere and i need it asap because i cant drive my jeep because I think the belt isnt spinning the alternator and it drained my battery all the way, the gauge for the battery stayed all the way down. I know you can tighten it but last time i had a mechanic look at it they put a new belt in because it was squeaking then said its still gonna squeak because the tensioner is bad... but then again how come i cant find this part anywhere???

SteeSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
slickfreeze
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cedar City, Utah
Posts: 139
there is no tensioner, the belt is tightened from the power steering pump bracket. there is an idler pulley, but it does not effect the tension. If the idler pulley is bad, it will create squeaking noises. start it up and look under the hood and see if the alt. is turning. you might just have a bad alt.
__________________
________oooo
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|[]lllll[]|
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
SteeSin
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: toms river, NJ
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfreeze View Post
there is no tensioner, the belt is tightened from the power steering pump bracket. there is an idler pulley, but it does not effect the tension. If the idler pulley is bad, it will create squeaking noises. start it up and look under the hood and see if the alt. is turning. you might just have a bad alt.
I did an alternator test and that came up fine
SteeSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
SteeSin
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: toms river, NJ
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfreeze View Post
there is no tensioner, the belt is tightened from the power steering pump bracket. there is an idler pulley, but it does not effect the tension. If the idler pulley is bad, it will create squeaking noises. start it up and look under the hood and see if the alt. is turning. you might just have a bad alt.
i dont get what i have to replace
SteeSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
SteeSin
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: toms river, NJ
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfreeze View Post
there is no tensioner, the belt is tightened from the power steering pump bracket. there is an idler pulley, but it does not effect the tension. If the idler pulley is bad, it will create squeaking noises. start it up and look under the hood and see if the alt. is turning. you might just have a bad alt.
and it was squeaking before and after the new belt was replaced, so would the idler pulley affect the alternator working?
SteeSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Jakobi
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 18
How did you test the alternator?

-Jake
__________________
"Flying is easy, all you have to do is throw yourself at the ground and miss."
-Douglas Adams
Jakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
slickfreeze
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cedar City, Utah
Posts: 139
press on the belt, (when the vehicle is turned off) it shouldnt really move. I cant remember the exact deflection but it isnt much. Its supposed to feel pretty solid. if its loose all ya gotta do is tighten it from the power steering pump. you can find lots of threads on how to tighten the belt. Its a pretty easy process. NAPA sells a gauge you can use if you wanna get the tension exact.
__________________
________oooo
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|[]lllll[]|
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
SteeSin
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: toms river, NJ
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfreeze View Post
press on the belt, (when the vehicle is turned off) it shouldnt really move. I cant remember the exact deflection but it isnt much. Its supposed to feel pretty solid. if its loose all ya gotta do is tighten it from the power steering pump. you can find lots of threads on how to tighten the belt. Its a pretty easy process. NAPA sells a gauge you can use if you wanna get the tension exact.
It's very loose I think because I was able to twist it quarter of the way
SteeSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
slickfreeze
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cedar City, Utah
Posts: 139
That actually sounds about right, mine twists about a quarter. Im thinking you have two problems. is the noise you hear more of a squeak or a squeal? is it constant or just when u turn on the A/C or something? How did you have the alt. tested? im betting the belt isnt the issue as to why your alt has no output. if the belt was too loose to turn the alt. i would imagine it would be too loose to turn the water pump and power steering pump.
__________________
________oooo
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|[]lllll[]|
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
sAe23
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles / SFV, California
Posts: 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeSin View Post
Ive been trying to find auto parts stores local and online and nobody carries a ''Serpentine belt tensioner'' and online i get 0 results, only thing that comes up is a idler pulley. For the problem im having ive been told i need a tensioner but cant find it anywhere and i need it asap because i cant drive my jeep because I think the belt isnt spinning the alternator and it drained my battery all the way, the gauge for the battery stayed all the way down. I know you can tighten it but last time i had a mechanic look at it they put a new belt in because it was squeaking then said its still gonna squeak because the tensioner is bad... but then again how come i cant find this part anywhere???
You need a new mechanic.
As Slickfreeze has pointed out, the power steering pump is the "tensioner" for the belt.
Loosen the bolts for the PS pump and move it and you should get the basic idea...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
MJR
Registered User
1988  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
You need a new mechanic.
As Slickfreeze has pointed out, the power steering pump is the "tensioner" for the belt.
Loosen the bolts for the PS pump and move it and you should get the basic idea...
The power steering pump is the adjustment on 87-95 models, the 96-01 use an idler for adjustment.
__________________
"Got Groceries"
88 Jeep Wagoneer
MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
slickfreeze
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cedar City, Utah
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
The power steering pump is the adjustment on 87-95 models, the 96-01 use an idler for adjustment.
thats a good point! I forgot they changed it on the newer body style! I found this little thread that shows a pretty good picture of how to adjust the newer style tensioners. Its actually even easier than the old power steering pump style

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/s...aling-1161327/
__________________
________oooo
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|[]lllll[]|
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
MJR
Registered User
1988  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfreeze View Post
thats a good point! I forgot they changed it on the newer body style!
One year before.
__________________
"Got Groceries"
88 Jeep Wagoneer
MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
slickfreeze
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cedar City, Utah
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
One year before.
the 96's dont count, they are the bastard child between the new and the old haha
__________________
________oooo
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|[]lllll[]|
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
SteeSin
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: toms river, NJ
Posts: 82
Thanks guys
SteeSin is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.