Do all Jeep 4.0 long blocks interchange? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 PM
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

If you're willing to do some parts diving, you can get yourself a TUPY head to fix the 0331 issue, and you can delete the cali emissions (I think that's legal to talk about here since you're modifying your original emissions anyway) but the 95 is less work to be reliable. The 95 doesn't have the better intake/ignitiom so it puts out a smidge less, will use a bit more gas and has a distributor to mess with so that's the tradeoff.
I'm not talking about Cali emissions of course you can delete that but the exhaust ports are different so you can't use your old headers as far as I know it won't line up, you can however use a older head and your existing exhaust.

"****, I might **** around and bring the Jeep back No doors on it, flexin' with the seat back"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
I'm not talking about Cali emissions of course you can delete that but the exhaust ports are different so you can't use your old headers as far as I know it won't line up, you can however use a older head and your existing exhaust.
The older style header may not work. I believe the '00-'01 has two pre-cats. I believe you may be able to use an older style head though. Either you would need to use an older style header and down pipe, thus deleting the two pre-cats. Not good in an emissions state. The other possibility is to search E-Bay for a '00-01 header. They should cover the older ports and connect to the pre-cats. Not 100% sure, so check on it first.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-10-2017, 01:32 PM
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
The older style header may not work. I believe the '00-'01 has two pre-cats. I believe you may be able to use an older style head though. Either you would need to use an older style header and down pipe, thus deleting the two pre-cats. Not good in an emissions state. The other possibility is to search E-Bay for a '00-01 header. They should cover the older ports and connect to the pre-cats. Not 100% sure, so check on it first.
Edit: nvm I can't read, your right except the newer manifolds won't work on older heads.

"****, I might **** around and bring the Jeep back No doors on it, flexin' with the seat back"

post #19 of 25 Old 03-10-2017, 05:50 PM
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
Edit: nvm I can't read, your right except the newer manifolds won't work on older heads.
The newer 'stock' exhaust manifolds won't. They are cast iron. I am not sure about the aftermarket 'headers'. I see sets on E-Bay that look like regular headers, but come down to two pipes, one for each cat. I think they would/might have enough ID on the runner tubes to cover earlier exhaust ports.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

This is a very informative discussion and altho I know zero about long block/short block/head stuff I understand a little bit of what is being said here. But only a little. I'm going to piggyback on this thread because my question is entirely relevant to the discussion. Forgive me if my question lays bare my ignorance for all to see, but I have to ask so that I can fully understand. All the talk about TJ/YJ and other non-XJs have me a little bit confused so I'll address my specific issue.

So ... will the full engine (long/short block) from a 1992 XJ swap over to a 2001 XJ? I would not be doing the work myself, and not entirely sure that it will come down to an engine swap, but I need to be prepared. School me like I'm 6 years old.

1992. XJ. Built.
Red Jeep Club Member #425
"Mud is evil."
post #21 of 25 Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What is the difference between a short block and a long block? I've been hearing that for years and never know what people are talking about.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.

Note: I had heart surgery Mar 2016. I wasn't feeling well since, but I improved this Dec 2016. Now I'm feeling better and getting back to Jeeping, modifying and wheeling.
post #22 of 25 Old 03-20-2017, 01:28 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BTW - regarding changeover year from distributor cap to coil-on-plug...

I've always heard that 99 was the changeover year, and that early 99 (like mine) are like 98 and have a distributor cap; and late 99 have coil-on-plug.

I learned this when shopping for upgrade fuel injectors. 98 uses one part number injector, 2000+ uses another injector that is different because of something to do with coil-on-plug ignition in 2000. And for 99 XJs like mine, I had to specify whether mine was an early 99 with distributor cap, or a late 99 with coil-on-plug.

None of this matters to anyone, unless you have a 99 XJ. If you have a 99 it matters with regard to ignition system and compatible injectors. I'm basing that on my vague memory of these topics.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.

Note: I had heart surgery Mar 2016. I wasn't feeling well since, but I improved this Dec 2016. Now I'm feeling better and getting back to Jeeping, modifying and wheeling.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-20-2017, 05:09 AM
75SV1

The 92 to 01: It would 'swap over. Some problems though. First is emissions.. The 00 and 01 have Pre-Cats. You might be able to use an after market header to cover the larger ports on the '92 head. There is an extra temp sensor in the '92 head. leave it in there , just no wire connected to it. Legally, you are only suppose to only use engine latter than your model number.

As to long block vs short block. Traditionally, a short block was without the head. Long block comes with the head. I'd also consider both without oil pan , valve cover and some other stuff. Those items would be engine complete. I only found one place that sells a short block for Jeep 4.0L. Maddco in TX. If any others chime in. I had a crank go bad, so looking at my options. Presently, I'll be putting in a used crank from an '00 or '01.
post #24 of 25 Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeegrrl View Post
So ... will the full engine from a 1992 XJ swap over to a 2001 XJ ?
Bolt right in with no changes at all ? No it won't. The engine block and all the internal parts will swap, one would then need to remove and re-use all of the 2001 specific parts as needed or required from your original 2001 engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories and/or mounting brackets.

Assuming the 0331 head has cracked and this is the reason you need an engine swap, you would want to find a suitable 0331 head in good condition.

Short Block Engine

Short block engines are not complete but they do come with a cam shaft, pistons, connecting rods, and a crank. They do require the installation of additional internal parts which include but are not limited to: an oil pump, cylinder heads and gaskets. Some short blocks are made available with camshafts and timing parts.

Long Block Engine

This type of engine is almost complete and comes with the head which is bolted to the short block. The long block engine will need to have some additional external parts installed. These parts include but are not limited to: valve covers, manifolds for the exhaust and intake, a timing covers and an oil pan.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #25 of 25 Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Appreciate the info - thank you!
Now can anyone tell me, what are the symptoms of a cracked head? And does anyone have a pic of a cracked head just so I can get a feel for what to look for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.