Do all Jeep 4.0 long blocks interchange? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-30-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Do all Jeep 4.0 short blocks interchange?

I am looking at buying a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that has about 150k and is advertised as having a "cracked block." I haven't looked at it yet but I am going to assume it has the bad 0331 head problem that affected some 2000 and 2001 Jeeps. The block may or may not be cracked, but the head probably is, and depending on how long it's been cracked, it may have done enough damage to the rest of the engine by introducing coolant into the oil that the whole engine needs to be replaced.

I'm not interested in rebuilding an engine, I just want to find a good used one to swap in. In order to avoid the bad 0331 head problem, but still stay with a coil pack engine, I'm looking for 2003 and later engines (from what I've read, 2002 engines are also good if they were built after April 2002, but just to make things simple I've only been looking at 2003 and later). I've discovered that it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to find a pre-2000 engine.

So I thought, if I could find a pre-2000 engine that's in good shape and is cheap, I could just use the short block and either look around for one of those TUPY 0331 castings which are better, or buy one of those replacement 0331 heads from eBay or wherever for around $500 bucks.

So my question is, are all the 4.0 short blocks interchangeable?

Last edited by mantonas; 03-30-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Made a mistake in the title of the post - said "long block" when I meant "short block"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-30-2014, 02:45 PM
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

post #3 of 25 Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Ok, here's what I think I learned:

1. Any 4.0 head will fit on any 4.0 block.

1. Blocks from ZJs and XJs interchange, as well as blocks from TJs before 2000. (The posts I read didn't mention YJs or Comanches. I assume they will interchange with XJs as well, but that fact is pretty useless because you never see those in junkyards anyway.)

2. Pre-1996, the blocks had an extra temperature sender location in the back of the block that is not used by the later vehicles.

So I think the thing to do if I buy the 2000 XJ with the blown engine is find a good ZJ block, and find a TUPY head from a WJ, use all the accessories from the blown engine, and make one good motor out of the three.

What I was concerned about, and no one mentioned, was differences in the engine dictated by the powertrain control module (PCM). I recently did an engine swap in a WJ where I put a 4.7 from a 2001 WJ into a 2003, and I almost ran afoul of changes in the PCM that made the motors completely incompatible. Specifically, sometime in 2003, they changed over from the JTEC PCM to NGC. You wouldn't think that would affect the engine, but the tone ring on the crankshaft that triggered the ignition went from 16 teeth on the JTEC to 32 teeth on the NGC, so it would have taken a major engine teardown to make an engine from a JTEC car compatible with an NGC car. I guess this is not an issue with the 4.0 engine.

post #4 of 25 Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 AM
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

For the easiest swap XJ to XJ.
ZJ block isn't bad to swap.
TJ block has different mounts and accessory locations making things difficult.
WJ is same as TJ.
Easiest way to swap is to find an XJ, they're way more abundant than any other jeep in junkyards, and find the same engine design, ie: Renix and HO. That'll make it very easy. Renix and HO is interchangeable but wiring will need to be redone.

1997 XJ Sport
6.5" with 31's
Built to CRAWL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IG: zack_hstadt
-ZACK
post #5 of 25 Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
mantonas
2003 WJ 

What are RENIX and HO?

Please explain.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 AM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantonas View Post
Please explain.
RENIX was the first attempt at fuel injection, and has mixed opinions on the results, it can be quirky, and has very little to no aftermarket support for performance parts, and would be considered the "low output 4.0", 91+ are HO(high output).
My recommendations for pulling a long or short block: 96+ XJ/ZJ, 97-99 TJ, major differences are going to be the accessorys, obviously XJ/ZJ are going to be the easiest to find at a junk yard. The early HO blocks will probably work, but there were some slight changes made for obd2(federally required on all 96+.

96 XJ:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
***** inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
post #7 of 25 Old 03-31-2014, 04:41 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

DO NOT change any wiring or computers.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories and/or mounting brackets.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange. YJ wrangler and early TJ Wrangler blocks will also work, but they are harder to find and are more expensive, despite being the same engine blocks.

XJ/ZJ blocks do not interchange with 2000+ TJ Wrangler or any WJ Grand Cherokee blocks without significant modifications.

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To keep it simple, any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the explanation!

I think these last few posts clarify things a lot. Just one more question. If I wanted to buy an engine that was coil-on-plug and would just drop in, it seems like I would have to get a 1999 - 2001 XJ engine. But I have read a lot about how some 2000, 2001, and early 2002 4.0 engines are prone to the heads cracking (bad 0331 castings). They seem to have fixed this problem with the TUPY 0331 casting (the letters TUPY are cast into the head and are visible without taking off the valve cover looking through the oil filler cap), which appeared around April 2002, so after that date, 0331 heads are okay. But what about 1999 0331 heads? Are they okay? If so, then the easiest thing is to find a 99 XJ 4.0. It should be a straight drop-in, heads, accessories, and all.

Also, just out of curiosity, when did they switch to distributorless ignitiion on the 4.0s, and how did they do it? On the 4.7 V8 in my WJ, there is a tone ring on the crankshaft and on one of the camshafts, and there are crankshaft and camshaft position sensors that are used in lieu of a distributor to figure out when the spark plugs should be fired. Did they do something like that on the 4.0, and if so, what year?
post #9 of 25 Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 2000 model year was the switchover for the 4.0 XJ. It got both the crack prone 0331 head, and the distributor-less ignition. The distributor was replaced with a similar device that fires the coil on sparkplug coil rail. The distributor and distributor-less parts use the same physical location in the block, and the same internal drive mechanicals.

If I was swapping an engine I would simply buy whatever low mileage block was available, and an improved TUPY 0331 head. I would re-use all the necessary parts form the original motor.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 AM
1CleanTJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

im running a 95 grand cherokee long block in my 2001 XJ

<-- CLICK !!! AND SHARE
post #11 of 25 Old 03-09-2017, 11:01 AM
88yjay
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm looking to swap a 4.0 engine and 4 speed auto trans into my 1988 YJ (currently has the 4.2l I6 w/ Howell EFI conversion). I am considering 2 possible donor vehicles, a 1995 XJ or a 2001 XJ. The 2001 can be test-driven, the 1995 can't as it's missing some parts but I can still verify engine runs.

Can the 4.0 block from the 2001 (distributor-less) be used with my existing distributor?

Also, I know that up to 1995 the XJ's had separate computer to control the transmission. Would a 2001 also have a separate computer for the transmission, or would the trans be controlled by stock ECM? I want to keep my existing Howell EFI system instead of switching over the entire wiring harness from donor vehicle, especially if OBD2. So it seems like 1995 would definitely work because transmission has separate computer, is same true for 2001?

Also, if 2001 transmission is controlled by stock ECM instead of separate transmission computer, could it be adapted to work with the transmission computer from the 95?

Also does anyone know about speed sensor for either of the transmissions? It is my understanding that the 1995 transmission has a mechanical speed sensor, what about the 2001? And anyone know about whether the mechanical speed sensor from 95 can be adapted to my stock YJ transfer case?

Anyone know if YJ transfer case will mate to transmission from either vehicle without re-clocking?

Thanks!
post #12 of 25 Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yjay View Post
Can the 4.0 block from the 2001 (distributor-less) be used with my existing distributor?
Yes.

In all models/years of the XJ with AW-4 transmission, both the XJ PCM and the XJ TCU control the XJ AW-4 automatic transmission. You should be asking about transmission swap compatibility and T-Case clocking in the YJ section of the Forum.

post #13 of 25 Old 03-09-2017, 11:21 AM
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Keep in mind imo and alot of others that 1995 will be more reliable then the 2001.

The 1995 4.0 doesn't have any real common problems that destroy the engine.

The 2001 has the 0331 head that likes to crack and the piston skirts sometimes let go, and also the exhaust is a little different.

"****, I might **** around and bring the Jeep back No doors on it, flexin' with the seat back"
post #14 of 25 Old 03-10-2017, 08:03 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
Keep in mind imo and alot of others that 1995 will be more reliable then the 2001.

The 1995 4.0 doesn't have any real common problems that destroy the engine.

The 2001 has the 0331 head that likes to crack and the piston skirts sometimes let go, and also the exhaust is a little different.
If you're willing to do some parts diving, you can get yourself a TUPY head to fix the 0331 issue, and you can delete the cali emissions (I think that's legal to talk about here since you're modifying your original emissions anyway) but the 95 is less work to be reliable. The 95 doesn't have the better intake/ignitiom so it puts out a smidge less, will use a bit more gas and has a distributor to mess with so that's the tradeoff.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #15 of 25 Old 03-10-2017, 11:03 AM
75SV1

as for short blocks (ie no head), then 96-01 XJ are a direct replacement. The 91-95 HO and the -87-90 RENIX should/would work. They do not have the dowel locator pins for the head and head gasket. Also, this would apply to 93-98 ZJ, and I think up to '00 TJs. WJs (99-04) and Latter TJs block are not a direct fit and a lot of work. A lot of work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.