DIY long arm kit! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > DIY long arm kit!

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 02-09-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

DIY long arm kit!

Im getting used to the fact that everything is freaking expensive. College student with not a lot of money.. Ive already build my own bumpers and a dashboard so i thought i would take my fabrication skills to the next level. just got done designing this. will work on the rest tomorow. let me know on your thoughts. Should I beef up the crossmember? everything is 1/4" but the tubing is 1.5x1.5x0.125. As for the linkage, im using either 1.75" or 2" DOM with 1/4" walls, johnny joints at the frame, and eurathane double sheer at the axle.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good but you should probably plate or grate that open space off the center, would hate for a rock to use that space to wedge in there and hit the tranny or tcase.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
MGDWJ
2004 WJ 

I would also make it a 3 piece design kinda like Clayton's
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
haloperformance
1991 XJ Cherokee 

To my novice fabricator(at best) eye, that design looks good. Ive got a 3 link Rockkrawler with Johnnys at the axle and frame... iv been thinking of switching the frame side to bushngs because the tide is LOUD when the suspension moves. Is there a reason you are putting bushings of the axle? I'm not questioning your design... just wondering if your idea will work better for me than my idea!
1991 XJ: 35"s, 4:56s 5.5"LA lift, stretched, locked, skids, caged, high steer, spray paint. I think it was stock at one point.
<-1978 CJ5 parts - click on my classified
haloperformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
just got done designing this. will work on the rest tomorow. let me know on your thoughts. Should I beef up the crossmember? everything is 1/4" but the tubing is 1.5x1.5x0.125. As for the linkage, im using either 1.75" or 2" DOM with 1/4" walls, johnny joints at the frame, and eurathane double sheer at the axle.

Since you're going this far with your build and doing it yourself, do yourself a favor: do a bit more research on front 3- link + panhard designs, go to pirate and search for 3-link calculator (excel- based thingy that allows you to design a proeprly working TRUE 3- link). Although radius arms are easier to do than 3-link, 3-link system works a lot better than radius arms. It isn't rocket science, and there are plenty of readily available designs if you browse through the Cherokee section on Pirate.

Other than that, IMO that crossmemeber looks pretty good. As mentioned, plate the area between the tubes, don't leave it open. Make it as level as possible with the uniframe rails, and fab/ buy frame stiffeners. Your XJ unibody will love 'em

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDWJ View Post
I would also make it a 3 piece design kinda like Clayton's
it is, you see the 3 holes one each side? thats where center bolts onto the brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloperformance View Post
To my novice fabricator(at best) eye, that design looks good. Ive got a 3 link Rockkrawler with Johnnys at the axle and frame... iv been thinking of switching the frame side to bushngs because the tide is LOUD when the suspension moves. Is there a reason you are putting bushings of the axle? I'm not questioning your design... just wondering if your idea will work better for me than my idea!
not sure why, i looked at my neighbors setup from rubicon express on his JK. thats how they made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Since you're going this far with your build and doing it yourself, do yourself a favor: do a bit more research on front 3- link + panhard designs, go to pirate and search for 3-link calculator (excel- based thingy that allows you to design a proeprly working TRUE 3- link). Although radius arms are easier to do than 3-link, 3-link system works a lot better than radius arms. It isn't rocket science, and there are plenty of readily available designs if you browse through the Cherokee section on Pirate.

Other than that, IMO that crossmemeber looks pretty good. As mentioned, plate the area between the tubes, don't leave it open. Make it as level as possible with the uniframe rails, and fab/ buy frame stiffeners. Your XJ unibody will love 'em
its just dificult for me to see how a third link could fit in there. on ones side i have the driveshaft in the way, and the other side i have the exhaust in the way...?

as for frame stiffeners, i want to make my own, should i get tubing, or plate it? i've seen some kits which are made out of tubing. or should i just plate it with 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"? This is my daily driver, want to keep the weight a bit lower for some precious MPG.

Unread 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
its just dificult for me to see how a third link could fit in there. on ones side i have the driveshaft in the way, and the other side i have the exhaust in the way...?
Exhaust can be rerouted Running true 3-link usually does involve a bit more work, and you normally need to cut through the floor on the passenger side for the frame-end link mount to fit high enough. It's not a big cut and can be covered with sheetmetal. Even though your XJ is your DD, the upper link notch on the floor can be cut & covered so it looks good and doesn't really eat away passenger legroom.

Radius arms are definitely easier to fab and can be made to work ok with good shocks, but it'll always have the known issues no matter what - brake dive and front unloading on steep climbs. A lot of off-road vehicles are built this way (all coil- sprung live axle Toyotas, Land Rover Defender/ Discovery, Range Rover, G- class Merc, etc...), and it works. But it binds more than 3- link, and is not the ideal way to build a front suspension. Jeep came pretty damn close on building the perfect front suspension (4-link + panhard bar), but they cheaped out on running too short arms built from thin sheetmetal Check for 3-link on Pirate4x4 Cherokee section, and then diceide which way you wanna go... 3-link design ain't that hard, but expect spending a couple of days studying/ researching on 3-link/ 4-link theory and getting the link setup right. If you're not ready for that, fab radius arms

Quote:
as for frame stiffeners, i want to make my own, should i get tubing, or plate it? i've seen some kits which are made out of tubing. or should i just plate it with 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"? This is my daily driver, want to keep the weight a bit lower for some precious MPG.
Frame stiffeners aren't actually that expensive, and IMO the amount of work you do fabbing your own (cutting, bending, drilling a lot of rosette- weld holes, making everything fit) it's probably worth it to buy a set from a known good manufacturer. 1/8" works if done right (= enough rosette welds, stich- welding the upper seam, wrapping the stiffeners all around the uniframe rails), 3/16" is bulletproof, 1/4" is overkill if you ask me.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

updated design. crossmember is 3/16"
probably still doing radius arm, dont want to deal with 3-link buisness.

Unread 02-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Following
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I like so far
RedRyderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

all done, what you think?

****ing solidworks....

Unread 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

well solidworks doesn't have an option for something that would recreate a rubber bushing so it doesn't allow me to move the axle up and down like it normally would as you can see.. rubber bushings are made te squish in different directions a bit, which is why a radius arm doesn't work on solidworks, but it works in hte real world.

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
Starboard M

If you are set on a radius arm, at least put the lower mounts even with the frame rails. No sense in having them hang down that low if you are making this thing from scratch.

Are these mounts going to be welded or bolted on?

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I would go a little deeper on the overlap of that three piece design. Also, those bent up tabs where those horizontal bolts would go arent really doing much because those flanges dont extend over the links. Also a t case skid.

You mentioned the exhaust, be careful moving it too close to the floor, you will melt the carpet lol. When I made my crossmember I lifted the exhaust system 2 inches, that started melting the carpet. I ended up cutting out the passenger side floor and raising it an 1 1/2 and made an aluminum heat shield. But damn do i have clearance.

Also def plate the frame, I used some kit from online it was like 175, way worth the cost vs. time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
If you are set on a radius arm, at least put the lower mounts even with the frame rails. No sense in having them hang down that low if you are making this thing from scratch.

Are these mounts going to be welded or bolted on?
well im considering a 3-link+panhard seeing how it may actually be easier to make, i did some more research and found that if you make all arms somewhat parallel you get really nice travel. before i commit i need to find out how to re-route my exhaust, thats my only barrier. and i will be welding on new axle mounts. and repositioning the frame mounts more inward. Eventually took Timo's advice haha!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.