DIY Leaf Spring Replacement & Parts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > DIY Leaf Spring Replacement & Parts?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 03-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
crowdsourced
1995 XJ Cherokee 

DIY Leaf Spring Replacement & Parts?

Hi everyone,

I've searched the forums and found good info on the what springs and shocks I might get: Quadratec Part No: 56010.11 and MONRO-MATIC PLUS MONOTUBE SHOCK.

And I'm using what a mechanic told me and what I found here to identify parts: http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...suspension.php

But this would be the first time doing this project and want to make sure I have all I need before dismantling my only means of transportation.

My questions that I haven't found answers to on the forums are:
  1. Can I do this all myself, and what tools and materials would I need for the job?
  2. What parts do I need? For example, the mechanic said bushings, bolts, and u-bolts. And from the diagram above, I'm still not perfectly clear on what I need. Links to and numbers of parts would be great.
  3. Is there a guide online you would recommend for this repair? A video would be awesome.
  4. I talked to a mechanic who told me that his labor would be $178 (sounds good) but the total with new springs and shocks would run $750. He said he would put on parts I brought in (but they wouldn't have a warranty; the reason for his high quote), and honestly, it would save me a ton of time I really don't have to spare. If I went this route, is there anything I need to worry about? I'm afraid that he might be getting a cut of the parts I'd be charged for buying through him, and me bringing him in parts might piss him off.

EDIT: Here's my Quadratec shopping cart with what I think may be all the parts needed: http://imgur.com/n7jbdAw

Thanks!

Last edited by crowdsourced; 03-06-2014 at 01:21 PM..
crowdsourced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
melancholy35
1985 CJ7 

Your going to need plenty of pb blaster. If the leafs have never been changed you probably are going to need a grinder to cut the u bolts off. Air impact tools help but if you don't have access to them then make sure you get a good breaker bar. A Haynes manual from autozone $25 has this step by step or just search google. A good jack along with jack stands because your going to have to put the body on jack stands and use the jack under the rear axel housing to take the pressure off of the springs. The rear lower shock mounts are easy to unbolt but if you snap the stud you will have to drill it out. The rear upper shock mounts are notorious for breaking. Most of this info is on the thread you just have to search for it. It's not that difficult of a job unless bolts start snapping. You will also need a torque wrench
You may want to look at the condition of your shackles. If there shot it's easy to replace them while you have it apart.
melancholy35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Many many sets of XJ leaves have been changed in driveways with hand tools over the years. It's only a couple dozen bolts, but 20 years of age can certainly up the challenge of removing the old bolts in locals that suffer winter roadsalt rust.
No rust could mean an easy afternoon job, or bad rust make it an all weekend ordeal with you wishing you'd spent the $178.
Your cart assumes you'll be able to reuse the eye bushing bolts, which depends on whether the old ones are seized in the bushing sleeves or not.
Check your snubbers the next time you walk by, they may be due for replacement too. ...if you can get the old ones off without breaking the bolts.
Rust sucks.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the process of doing mine right now the upper shock bolts are the ones that like to break so go slow with them I like to smack them a few times with a big hammer to try and break the rust loose but one always seems to snap off . When that happens just start drilling it out if your carefull the threads on the nutsert will still be useable. The hardest part is getting the leaf springs out ! the bolts are rusted into the spring bushing that's why you cant turn them so I cut my leafs off were they wrap around the rubber bushing with a small cutoff wheel and then just work my way in to the bolt so I can get some PB blaster on it and heat it and work it out of the nutsert in the frame the last thing you want to do is break off the front bolt it might take me a week but itll be less work in the long run and much easyer to put back together just remember when you put it back together put grease on the bolt shaft so it wont rust to the steel insert in the spring bushing that's what has it now !!!
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
crowdsourced
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the suggestions! Which all align pretty much with what I finally found on the BleepinJeep youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KUa-6rdSQs

Right now, I don't have the set up or tools to do the job. No heavy duty jack or stands; no grinder or air impact tools. From the video, this doesn't look to be a tough job—unlees all the problem you describe happen. You just have to have everything to make it easy.

Living in an apartment right now, so I've been limited to less technical and cosmetic projects like replacing a ripped up and sagging headliner and my custom cup holder: http://imgur.com/MgUZohS.
crowdsourced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice needed , leaf springs , shock absorber , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.