Distributor Timing help needed, 1999 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Distributor Timing help needed, 1999 Cherokee

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
99cherokee

Distributor Timing help needed, 1999 Cherokee

So I sold my past Cherokee and I just got another one.

My new is a 1999 4.0l 5 speed, 4wd.

With a 134,000 and it was starting to run a little rough so I removed the distributor cap and rotor and bought new ones and while replacing them the little 7mm bolts snapped on me, cause I don't think the cap was ever changed and wonderful Buffalo, NY winters do wonders on bolts.

So anyways I then removed the whole distributor from the Jeep so I could drill out the holes.

I am going to put it back in and realized I never marked what the timing was when I took it out.

SO my question is how do I put it back in, is there anyway to know where to line up the teeth so that the timing will be on?

Any help will be appreciated as I am doing this right now!

thanks
Brad

Unread 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Remove the #1 spark plug. Put your finger over the hole the spark plug went to. Have someone bump the ign over in short bumps and stop when the air forces your finger off the hole.

Install the dist making sure the rotor lines up with the #1 spark plug terminal ON THE CAP. You may have to index it counter clockwise a little and set the dist in. When the gear meshes it will rotate it into postion.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
99cherokee

Is spark plug #1 all the way to the header panel side or all the way to the firewall side?
Unread 06-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

#1 is the closest to the radiator and then it's 2,3,4, ect till you hit the firewall.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
eliassami5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

dead timing is a b***h..50/50 chance of getting it right, when your finger blows off the hole you might wanna look down the the main pulley and see if the TDC or top dead center line is lined up with the mark directly above the pulley...most likely it wont be unless you are really lucky. i dunno if you can get a wrench down there or not with the rad still in but turn the pulley backwards or forwards as needed to line up the marks, careful not to loosen the bolt when turning counter clockwise.

remove the dist cap and turn the rotor inside to line up with the number one ignition point on the cap..it should be marked by the number 1 on the cap, then drop it in where it feels right (that means there you have the most clearance for you to get to the bolt caps), it wont fit right the first time so you have to turn the dist counter clockwise to "index" it as balloo said it then drop it in and it will rotate itself and fit in.

I no i prob made no sence lol but its kinda a hands on job and you have to see it to know what to do..but hopefully that'll help. I would just take it to a mechanic shop and have em do it insted of doing it wrong and having it backfire like hell.
eliassami5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
firefighter1c57
SPACE FOR RENT

I'll add that there is a hole in the bottom of the distributor, and a matching hole in the stator, you'll have to pull the pickup coil to see it. I used a allen wrench, but you have to line the holes up before you stab the distributor. Then the ears have to be lined up with the bolt holes, you'll see what I mean. Now, with all those things lined up, the rotor then has to point to number 1 plug wire, other wise you'll get hall effect.

I bring NOTHING to the table.
firefighter1c57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
99cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter1c57 View Post
other wise you'll get hall effect.
Question what is hall effect?

tried everything above and still won't start..... any thing I could be missing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.