Distributor shaft loose? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Distributor shaft loose?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #1
GJ Jeep

Distributor shaft loose?

What are some of the symptoms you should see if you have a loose or worn Distributor shaft? Best to replace the whole distributor or just the shaft?

Thanks

GJ Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2004, 05:29 AM   #2
JoBo

You don't say what engine or year but the shaft on my 96 4.0L XJ was worn very badly and a replacement distributor at autozone was $54 and it came with the trigger thingy. Where would you get just the shaft?

JoBo
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2004, 08:12 AM   #3
GJ Jeep

Distributor shaft loose?

Oopps that would help huh! It is a 96xj with I6 HO. What kinda symptoms you would see with a loose distributor shaft?
Unread 10-10-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
JoBo

With our ignition systems I don't think you would "see" any problems. However the oil pump is driven off the bottom of the distributor shaft. The shaft is driven off the camshaft and coupled to the distributor shaft with a roll pin. A roll pin is a piece of flat spring steel rolled into a round pin. It looked like a weak link to me. Some, not me, have reported problems with the gear braking. It could be caused by a loose shaft. When the grar brakes the engine stops

JoBo
Unread 10-10-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
GJ Jeep

distributor shaft

Hey thanks your responses. I am at a loss. My jeep ran great then all of sudden it started to idle rough. So I took it in to mechanic and they gave it a once over and determined that the distributor cap and rotor were bad, and that the shaft was very worn. So no biggie right, I go and replace a cap/rotor plugs/ wires. Didnít have time to do the shaft and no one around had a distributor that day. Still get a rough idle when its hot. It was leaking looks like oil from between the oil pan and tranny and now that just stopped no leaks. hmmm. When I come to a stop it almost feels like its going to die but doesnít. It runs fine well maybe a little power loss but other than that it runs ok. No error codes just the 12 and 55 which from my understanding are standard. Could it be a motor mount? When it does idle rough it feels like the whole jeep is moving. Maybe a blown rod? Although if it was a blown rod I donít think I would be running still. None of this probably makes any sense but anybody have any suggestions. fyi... have a new distributor on the way. But I donít see how the shaft could cause all that. Any suggestions?
Its a 96XJ sport I6 HO

Thanks
gj
Unread 10-11-2004, 04:05 AM   #6
JoBo

When I took off my cap I saw traces of carbon from the center button on the cap. The rotor's spring thing on the top was rough. I determined the wobbling shaft caused the rotor to wear the center button of the cap spewing carbon all over the place. Carbon could be your problem. Also have you cleaned your throttle body and idel motor thing?

JoBo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.