Distributor Protector?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Distributor Protector??

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
doomgoon
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Distributor Protector??

Is there a way I can prevent mud and water from splashing onto the Distributor or at least block it? I need an idea because every time I go in the mud it gets soaked and my Jeep drives super slow.

doomgoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
1. Remove cap
2. Get out tube of silicone and your silicone gun
3. Apply a bead of silicone on the edge of the cap
4. Re-install cap

That's what a lot of guys do here who loves wheeling in mud. Make sure you also block the cap vent hole with the silicone.

The downside is, over time water will condense inside the distributor, which causes corrotion and the exact same symptoms you're having now. But it isn't a huge pain to remove the cap every now and then and wipe it clean and check for corroded cap and rotor contact points.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Heavy ziploc bag and a rubber band or two every time you go wheeling.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Maybe a surgical glove with small holes cut in the fingertips for the wires to go through. You could call it your distributor condom.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I know the old 4 cylinder ford tempo/mercury topaz's (88 - 94) came with a rubber boot for the dist.

Now that you mention it, I may try to troll the yards next time I'm there for one. I'm pretty positive it would be a direct fit with no trimming.

EDIT:

I went digging through my files and found some images. It also looks like the 3.0 Vulcan V6's also had them. I'd be willing to bet you could find them on the late 80's and early 90's Taurus/Sables also.

4 Cylinder 89 Topaz

V6 92 Topaz

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , distributor , protection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.