Dissapointed with Quadratec Leafsprings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dissapointed with Quadratec Leafsprings

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
XJdriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dissapointed with Quadratec Leafsprings

Hey guys. I little over a year ago i purchased the Quadratec (crown) Standard duty leaf springs to replace my old worn out springs with 175,000 miles on them.s I replaced them so i could have better ride quality, and stop my 235/75/15 tires from rubbing in the rear every time i hit a bump. They leveled out the jeep great for the first month or two i had them, then the started to settle too much, and now they are sagging almost as bad as the old ones were and the tires are rubbing again. I'm thinking of buying some JKS shackles that are supposed to net 1 inch of lift, but i heard that putting longer shackes kills the ride and wears out the springs even faster. the other option is to buy the HD Springs from quadratec, but i'm concerned about the ride quality of those. Any suggestions ?

XJdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
droz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

how much weight do you carry? what kind of driving? I run 235/75/15's myself and have about 150lbs or so of gear and tools in the back of the jeep. I replaced my original springs with dorman oem replacements which got me about 1" over stock height, with the weight I have and settling they sit at the stock height now. I have had em on for 8 months now and ride is great and I am not anticipating any sagging in the near future based off the past 8 months I have ran them. I do about 60% on road driving, 25% rough roads at camping and hunting sites and the remaining 15% is full offroad in 4LO
droz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
XJdriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

99% onroad driving commuting to school. I have a full sized spare, and sometimes have some tools in the back , but nothing that should be making them wear out this quickly.
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
droz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

definitely not, I would try contacting Quadratec and see what they have to say, would suck to have to replace the springs already since they are so new and I am sure weren't cheap
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The ride quality of the HD leaf springs is very much like stock. I would say that they make ride quality "tighter" rather than "stiffer" (hope that makes sense). They will net you an inch or two over stock though after settling...not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Don't put shackles on the SD springs...it will increase the wear rate and potentially compromise the integrity of the leaf itself. The stock springs are weak and, as you know, are prone to inverting and sagging. Shackles are typically used in conjunction with aftermarket leaf springs that can handle the added stress.
Jeff9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
XJdriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droz View Post
definitely not, I would try contacting Quadratec and see what they have to say, would suck to have to replace the springs already since they are so new and I am sure weren't cheap
I bought the Springs in August of 2011 and they have a 12 month warrenty but i will still call them to see if they can do anything for me

Quote:
The ride quality of the HD leaf springs is very much like stock. I would say that they make ride quality "tighter" rather than "stiffer" (hope that makes sense). They will net you an inch or two over stock though after settling...not sure if that's what you're looking for.
That's exactly what I'm looking for, i want nice firm springs that ride close to stock. I don't mind if they lift it a little bit, but i want to avoid having to buy new shocks, or drop my T-case
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Regarding your worries...

1) You have a Dana 35 rear axle which is good because it has a longer flange than a 8.25. This reduces that chances that you'll get vibes. The fact that you have a manual transmission might negate that though since I THINK it's shorter than the automatic. (You can easily search this)

2) Stock XJ's with the Upcountry suspension package actually shipped with small t-case drops...a little one won't harm anything long term...not like you're going to do a SYE with a 1.5" lift.

3) You absolutely will not need new shocks

I would say that it's still overwhelmingly unlikely for you to develop vibes with the HD springs, but if you do some searching you'll see that everyone's XJs are different in that regard. Pre-97's can go upwards of 3-4" with no vibes whereas Post-97s were much more sensitive. The trans/rear axle combo plays a part in that (again, search it...I forget the details and don't want to tell you something that's wrong).
Jeff9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have had the "HD" replacements on 2 of my XJ's and while I always get "inchitis" and wished I went higher with a lift kit, they've always stayed above my factory height. Leafs do ride better the flatter they are but they should not sag, especially so quickly. I do know some of the standard ones are based off of 4 cylinder 2wd setups, so it's possible you bought or they sent you the wrong ones. I usually always recommend the HD ones 4886186.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I put the hd's on and my '95 2.5l manual tranny, rides like a stage coach. Obviously it's not as heavy as some XJ's. The shackle angle is near vertical. I haul a few hundred pounds in the back fairly regularly. Also tow a boat and snowmobile. Only do light off road stuff. The hd's gave 1.5" over stock. I haven't seen any sagging at all over a couple years. Wish they would sag so my ride smooths out. Could go with relocation brackets, but then I would need to do a bunch of other stuff.

Short story is results will vary. Try to find someone that has close to the same Jeep as you. Engine, tranny, year made, bumpers, roof racks, tire carriers, full size spare. All these things and probably more will vary your results.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Can't you just add a leaf and get a longer U-Bolt?
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also bought the Dorman stock replacements that now have 15000 miles on them . They brought the rear 1.5" higher than stock. This is at least 10 months now. I will say they are heavier than stock as I have a 75 LBS weight and 2 30 LBS tool bags out back in my 2 door.
I give them a 10+.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
residentg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

where can I get the Dorman leafs? Thank you.
residentg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
droz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I got mine through Advance Auto and used the account that was setup by some JF members, got a nice discount, I think I ended up paying $150 or for both sides and they came with new bushings
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

When I ordered my leaves from them they were out of stock and gave me the medium duty crowns

Perfect
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got mine through Rock auto. The shipping does add as they are heavy. Advance with a discount may be the way to go.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.