discussion on "Cherokee stock specs" post - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > discussion on "Cherokee stock specs" post

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-06-2003, 04:12 AM   #1
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

discussion on "Cherokee stock specs" post

OK well the page is finally up! Its 'stickied' for the present time but heres the link to it -

Cherokee stock specs

Please post any comments, suggestions, or corrections here since the specs page will remain locked.

Thanks again to all of you who helped out!

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 05:55 AM   #2
bigjon

nice, good work. All very nice to know.
Unread 01-06-2003, 06:21 AM   #3
LightningBolt

Thanks! I just got my '90 XJ about a month ago... I love it & was wondering about some specs that you've listed... thanks again!
Unread 01-06-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good.

Is there anything we should add to it? I was thinking maybe gas tank and electrical system stuff (battery & alternator), but then I guess we don't want to start a book, or do we?

I know people would probably like a description of the different packages and their equipment, but that might be a bit large...

Thanks for putting that together Eric.

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
zappa UK

Very informative Eric.....

Thanks a lot bud
Unread 01-06-2003, 11:36 AM   #6
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally posted by brcomputer
Is there anything we should add to it? I was thinking maybe gas tank and electrical system stuff (battery & alternator), but then I guess we don't want to start a book, or do we?

I know people would probably like a description of the different packages and their equipment, but that might be a bit large...
I actually had a whole section on Factory Options but I deleted it because the post was too big (there is a 10,000 character limit). I had to trim it down with a few other stuff also. As of now theres a little bit of room left but not enough for that!

Just for the fun of it here is the "Factory Options" part I took out:

There are so many options, it is impossible to list them all for 18 years worth of models (the early ones didn't even come with carpet on the base model!) But here are the more common ones:

Towing Package - included class III hitch, wiring harness, aux. transmission fluid cooler, and synthetic lube in rear differential. Some may have included lower (3.73) gears and some 87-89's came with the Dana 44 rear axle.

UpCountry - included 1" taller springs, front skidplate, transfer case skidplate, gas tank skidplate, 2 front tow hooks, 1 rear tow hook, and deleted the rear swaybar (aka: stabilizer bar).

Other pakages and options include:

Police Package, Off-Highway Vehicle Package, Selec-trac, skidplates, Trac-Loc in rear differential, full size spare, 2wd, RHD (right-hand drive), power windows, power door locks, cruise control, air conditioning, ABS brakes, leather interior, heated seats, overhead console, tinted windows, CD player, 16" alloy wheels, fog lights, keyless entry, anti-theft security systems.

Unread 01-06-2003, 12:18 PM   #7
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ya know, I could always include more information in a "reply" to the first post. Then I have room for another 10000 characters. It would be kind of broken up but what do you think?

Unread 01-06-2003, 12:21 PM   #8
Invisible

That would be fine with me. As long as it is "stickied" then it will still be easily accessible and easy to find.
Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 12:53 PM   #9
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah that sounds good to me too. Heck if you wanted to write it up as a regular webapge, I'm sure you could find somebody that wouldn't mind "hosting" it, myself included.

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #10
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was thinking about including a similar version on my website as well. If you want to copy the information for your site br, please feel free.

Unread 01-06-2003, 03:01 PM   #11
White-Knight

Just one question: where are you getting your spec for ground clearence? What I'm was seeing before Jeep changed their website was 8.9 inches (which I'm assuming is measured from the lowest point). Other sites list even more clearence, but I don't think they are from the lowest point. Just curious.

Great job compiling the specs - that's really cool and useful.
'96 Jeep Cherokee Sport (Moss Green, 4.0L HO, automatic transmission and Command-Trac transfer case, Custom 4x4 Tow Hook brackets and hooks, Class III receiver, Blazer 55w Fog Lights). [b]Green Jeep Club Member #17[/b]
White-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 03:40 PM   #12
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally posted by White-Knight
Just one question: where are you getting your spec for ground clearence? What I'm was seeing before Jeep changed their website was 8.9 inches (which I'm assuming is measured from the lowest point). Other sites list even more clearence, but I don't think they are from the lowest point. Just curious.
I listed 7.3" but I too remember some specs in the 8" range. This is my theory on the 7.3" (which has got to be the lowest amount listed anywhere I think):

The lowest point is the differentials. I believe the Chrysler 8.25 diff has slightly less clearance than a D35. My 8.25 measured 7.5" clearance stock height with 225/75R15 tires. Some jeeps come with 215/75R15 tires so that's how I can believe the 7.3" spec.

I'll change the ground clearance as 7.3" - 8.9" since some do measure in the 8" range. If anyone can verify the 8.9" spec or measure their own and report the numbers to me that would be cool.

Thanks for questioning that

PS. here is the site I pulled that 7.3" figure from: http://members1.chello.nl/~r.vink/jeepspecs.htm

Unread 01-06-2003, 08:15 PM   #13
White-Knight

Hey that's cool, I was just wondering. I haven't measured mine, but I think I might here one of these days just out of curiosity. I did a little research just now for what the 'official' specs are, and I came up with a lot of answers (again, I think some measure from the very lowest point, others may average it, etc. Also wheels/tires, and the UpCountry suspension group will change it too).

Here is one that lists 8.1": http://www.internetautoguide.com/rev..._Cherokee.html

MSN Carpoint shows it as either 10.0" or 10.6" (suspension group maybe? Or perhaps they measure from some place other than the bottom of the differential?): http://autos.msn.com/vip/specificati...d=9751&src=vip

Edmunds is showing it as 8.3": http://www.edmunds.com/used/2002/jee...tml?id=lin0066

One thing that I'm reading here (finding pages by a Google search, by the way) is that one measurement might be the lowest point - such as the diff - and the other measurement might be the rocker panels as that seems to be a common place to measure.

This seconds the data from MSN Carpoint (10.0" and 10.6"): http://www.automotive-technology.com...kee/specs.html

And finally, this lists 8.1": http://www.automotive.com/reviews/20..._Cherokee.html

So my guess is that the diff to the ground, with non-sagging springs, original tires, etc. is somewhere right around 8.1"-8.3" and the rocker panel clearence is probably somewhere right around 10.0" to 10.6" depending upon if you have four wheel drive or not (the 10.6" is what is listed for 4wd). I would expect Jeeps that are 2wd to be lower (no real reason why, just seem to be from the specs I'm looking at) as well as Jeeps with the full equipment and option packages because of their heavier weight.

I was able to use The Internet Archive to load up Jeep's official homepage from 2001, and it lists the 10.0"/10.6" as the official 'running ground clearance." http://web.archive.org/web/200102062.../feature2.html

Anyway, don't know if that helps at all or if it just muddies things up.
'96 Jeep Cherokee Sport (Moss Green, 4.0L HO, automatic transmission and Command-Trac transfer case, Custom 4x4 Tow Hook brackets and hooks, Class III receiver, Blazer 55w Fog Lights). [b]Green Jeep Club Member #17[/b]
White-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 08:23 PM   #14
joeldavid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the hard work Eric.

Joel
joeldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 10:40 PM   #15
cbremer

a couple of small, super nit-picky things (but the devil is in the details ):

- U-joint designations: 5-260x and 5-297x (replaced by the 5-760x) if someone was searching Spicer's website, or wanted a '260' ujoint at a parts store, it's an incomplete part number. Just trying to prevent any confusion

- Front driveshaft is more correctly called a 'double-cardan' shaft. A double Cardan joint is a type of CV (constant velocity) joint. Here's a good little bit of trivia I read recently:

Quote:
Why are they called a “Cardan” joint?

In the 16th century, Italian mathematician Girolamo Cardano theorized that gimbals could be utilized for the transmission of rotational forces through an angular connection. Many historians credit Cardano with the invention of the universal joint, and his name is the most frequently used term after universal joint. However he only theorized about the principals of the device, he did not actually produce one. It wasn't until the latter half of the 17th century that an actual universal joint was produced. English scientist Robert Hooke was the first to construct a working universal joint and actually use it. In 1676 he constructed a "Universal Joynt" to adjust the mirrors of his solar invention, the "Helioscope." Today universal joints are commonly referred to as "Cardan Joints" or "Double Cardan Joints". "Hooke's Joints" is a less frequently used term which refers to the same device. Whatever they are called, the universal joint has become indispensable in all facets of the modern industrial world. Today, all vibration-canceling joints are lumped together simply as “CV” joints.
- The driveshaft u-joints are Spicer 1310 u-joints (or Cardan joints )

- NP207 was called 'Command-Trac' before the NP231; NP228 Selec-Trac is 3 position: 4HI, N, 4LO. 4HI is differentiated (full-time), while 4LO is undifferentiated. It was a true full-time 4WD transfer case; NP229 is similar to the NP228, but the NP229 has a viscous coupler.

- my '87 shop manual lists ground clearance as 7.6" (minimum)

there I go adding more fuel to the fire

Thanks for all the work, Eric!
cbremer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.