Disconnect vs non-disconnect? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Disconnect vs non-disconnect?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
m1a convert

Disconnect vs non-disconnect?

I have a TJ and want to swap a HP30 front axle underneath. What is the difference between Disconnect vs non-disconnect axles?

Will getting a non-disconnect mean a solid axle shaft all the way through and that i can run manual hubs?

m1a convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The disconnect axle has a 2 piece shaft on the right side, the non-disconnect doesn't. The disconnect axle is a pos IMO.
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Go for a non disconnect. Much more reliable. You can find them on any 92 plus chero's. Most after 89 were non disco but some were.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
PhatJeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et3rnal 360
The disconnect axle has a 2 piece shaft on the right side, the non-disconnect doesn't. The disconnect axle is a pos IMO.
What he said.
PhatJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
m1a convert

So how do the non-disco axles disconnect with tires?

If I swap in a non-disco, how would this work with a TJ which has a disconnect?
Unread 12-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
tweekedknee

They dont...

Another related question, Why does every one hate the disco axles so much, seems like the easiest way to have a selectable locker. Weld the spider gears and then run a cable to the selector fork
3" rustys full pack, Rock Krawler tracbar, 31x10.5 Kumho kl71, CIK, dynomax super turbo muffler, IPF h4 conversions, silverstar bulbs, hella 530 fogs, olympic 4x4 rock front bumper, tcase drop, bush hacker flares, OEM tow hook brackets with GM hooks
tweekedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
AznDrgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a convert
So how do the non-disco axles disconnect with tires?

If I swap in a non-disco, how would this work with a TJ which has a disconnect?
Your TJ shouldn't have a disconnect front axle. Either axle will bolt right up but with a disconnect you'd have to figure out a way to lock the inner and outer axle shafts on the passenger side to get into 4wd. The XJ does this through a vacuum actuated shift fork which is controlled by a valve on the TC. The vacuum actuated fork is totally unreliable in most cases and the shaft is normally replaced with a one piece from a non disconnect axle or else there are some after market cable actuated solutions.

Tweaked, I personally hated my disconnect axle because it was always erratic as to when it decided to work or not work and it always chose the worst times to not work. After replacing it with a one piece shaft I know that every time I pull that lever into 4wd I am actually going to get 4wd.
'83 Porsche 944 2.5L - Sold
'78 Porsche 924NA 2.0L - RIP
AznDrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
m1a convert

Quote:
Another related question, Why does every one hate the disco axles so much, seems like the easiest way to have a selectable locker. Weld the spider gears and then run a cable to the selector fork
This seems like a good idea. Anyone doing it?

So if I have a non-disco axle and a locker the front driveline would spine constantly?

If I have a selectable locker having a non-disco without hubs wouldn't matter one bit, right?

How hard is it to add hubs to a HP30?
Unread 12-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
lectrode
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et3rnal 360
But don't the disconnect axle have the weaker u-joints?Thats what I'm fighting
with now,I just busted my right axle u-joint on my disconnect axle.
And the only way to upgrade to the 297 is to go with certain non-disconnect axles.
lectrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
AznDrgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LECTRODE
But don't the disconnect axle have the weaker u-joints?Thats what I'm fighting
with now,I just busted my right axle u-joint on my disconnect axle.
And the only way to upgrade to the 297 is to go with certain non-disconnect axles.

With the disconnect axle I doubt the U-joint is even a concern the collar that locks the shafts together is probably a weaker point than the joint.
Unread 12-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
m1a convert

Quote:
Your TJ shouldn't have a disconnect front axle.
So my TJ doesn't have a disconnect?

So both axle shafts spin constantly?

Is this why having a full-time locker in a TJ isn't such a good idea, because then the driveline spins constantly?
Unread 12-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #12
AznDrgn

Quote:
So my TJ doesn't have a disconnect?

So both axle shafts spin constantly?

Is this why having a full-time locker in a TJ isn't such a good idea, because then the driveline spins constantly?
I'm almost 100% sure that TJ's never shipped with the disconnect front axle but you can verify this by looking on the passenger side of the axle tube and seeing if there is a box mounted to the tube. If you have a non disconnect axle then the yes both shafts spin constantly as does your front drive shaft from the TC. Full time front locker is not a good idea because of the previous statement.
Unread 12-25-2006, 09:32 PM   #13
m1a convert

I looked. No box for a disconnect.

Sweet!!!

So, all I need is a Warn hub conversion kit and I am good to go?

What kind of increase in gas mileage will I see with the installation of the kit?
Unread 12-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
AznDrgn

Quote:
I looked. No box for a disconnect.

Sweet!!!

So, all I need is a Warn hub conversion kit and I am good to go?

What kind of increase in gas mileage will I see with the installation of the kit?
If you are doing hubs for a gas mileage increase don't bother, if you get any increase at all it'll be minimal.
Unread 12-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mileage increase 1-2 mpg at best. Hardly a reason to spend the $1200 for the warn kit.

You will gain 30 spline outer stub shafts and if you break something in the front axle, you will cause less damage to the remaining drivetrain by being able to disconnect the entire axle assembly from the spinning tire for the ride home.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.