Disc brake rotor temps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Disc brake rotor temps

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
jstaples
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Disc brake rotor temps

My front disc brakes on my 1996 Jeep Cherokee overheated (non-ABS, front disc, rear drum) to the point where smoke was coming from the right front wheel well. I changed the calipers, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. Also planned to change the brake hoses but couldn't get the flare nuts loose, even with a flare nut wrench and PB Blaster. After a test drive, I measured the temp of the front rotors with an IR thermometer. Both were about 190F. Seems a little high to me. Anyone know what would be considered a normal temp? I plan to put on new rotors and pads but I'm afraid I'll damage $250 Hawk rotors and pads.

jstaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Only two reasons for disc brakes to overheat like that...
(1) You were driving with your foot on the brake pedal, or
(2) The brakes hoses have swelled up on the inside. They will look normal on the outside, but the inside will be swelled shut. They act like a one-way check valve. You can force the fluid to the brakes with your foot, but when you release, the pressure keeps the pads clamped to the rotor.

Change the hoses.
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I think we need to verify that 190* is too high. I doubt it is as I've done brake testing with an IR gun and saw temps after application of brakes up in the 500+* temps.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Those temperatures sound reasonable to me depending, of course, on the pad material you are running.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

He said it was smoking. That is too hot.
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
jstaples
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The brakes were smoking before I did the repairs. I did not measure the temps at that time but I could barely could hold my hand near them. I'm assuming the caliper was stuck. But I changed the master cylinder and proportioning valve as well. I planned on changing the brake hoses but couldn't get the flare nuts to budge. In fact, the flare nut wrench was starting to round off the nuts. I'm afraid if I do enough damage, I'll need to change the hard lines as well. I'm willing to do that repair at some point but not a good time right now.
jstaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use a propane torch to heat up the nut. Spray on penetrating oil while still hot. You may need 2 vice-grip wrenches to break it loose.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.