Dim headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dim headlights

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 01-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

Dim headlights

Anyone else seem to find that headlights on your cherokee are not much help at night? Its almost like they are not on, I checked the grounds and they are good. At night when I turn the blinker on, its much brighter than the headlight when its flashing. I can drive around with the brights on and never get flashed, they still are not very bright. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows of any fixes.

Hlude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i agree that the stock lighting is not great. but if they seem really dim, make sure your battery and alternator are in good shape. my headlamps became almost zip, then i realized my alt was bad.

other options for upgrade would be to upgrade the wiring harness, and swap in some "HID" lamps.

theres a few options out there, check the stickies for the harness upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
Do they come in any other varieties besides crap?
portcityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Halogen lights will dim with age...

That being said, I would get on EBAY and grab a set of H4 conversions. (Throw away the H4 bulbs that come with them, and get some Wagner or other name brand lights.)

You can use the H4s with the stock harness but I would build a HID harness to power them.

EDIT: Also, I cant stand not being able to see at night and in the rain so I have a set of driving lights on my bumper that are triggered with the high beams (keeps me from having to fumble with 2 switches when I meet a car)

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Convert to H-4 lamps, not HID. Google Cibie, IPF, Hella, and AutoPal. Read some of the recent JeepForum threads on H-4 lighting. You will also need and upgraded wire harness to power your new lights. eautoworks and an inexpensive one that is plug and play. Better wire harnesses cost a bit more but use better parts and thicker wires.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.