differential ID - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > differential ID

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
artboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

front differential

I am trying to find out if I have an open or LSD front end by jacking my XJ in neutral and spinning the wheels. Here is what happens ... when I spin a wheel (either side) the other one does nothing (the driveshaft turns though).

I thought with an open diff they spin opposite and a LSD they spin in the same direction. my wheels seem disconnected from each other ...is that normal?.

My Pics
"life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once and awhile, you could miss it"...F. Bueller

Last edited by artboy; 05-11-2007 at 06:56 PM..
artboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
madrabbitt

um.
front=open from the factory.

shift it into 4 wheel drive, THEN jack it up and try to spin the tires, see what happens.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
artboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt

shift it into 4 wheel drive, THEN jack it up and try to spin the tires, see what happens.

Yup... now they spin opposite. I don't quite understand why having it in 4wd makes a difference... all that does is engage the transfer case....it has noting to do with the axle (I don't have vacuum axle disconnect). would like to know why
My Pics
"life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once and awhile, you could miss it"...F. Bueller
Unread 05-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
madrabbitt

well, your selec-trac equipped xj wouldnt have a vac disconnect anyway, even if it were 92 or older.

and you did that quick.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
artboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks MadRAbbitt..... she was already up on stands in the garage... ran out and just shifted it. I still don't understand why that made a difference... ?????? Does the diff need resistance via the TC to engage the wheels to spin opposite?
My Pics

Last edited by artboy; 05-11-2007 at 07:32 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.