differential gearing for 1997 jeep cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > differential gearing for 1997 jeep cherokee

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Bds suspension discount

Unread 04-25-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
Jeepcherokeeboy

differential gearing for 1997 jeep cherokee

i want to get like a 3.55 or 4.56 gear ratio for my jeep but what and where can i get the same setup for the front or what should i do with the front

Jeepcherokeeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
wipedawg

you'll hafta regear both axles to the same ratio... or your transfer case and axles wont like you anymore.

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
shmoken875
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well 3.55-4.56 is a wide range plus theres a good chance you already have 3.55, what size tires are you running? 3.73 is pretty good for 31" tires; 4.10 for 33"; 4.56 for 35"; 4.88 for 37", those are about the ratios that would put you close to stock ratios.
www.sc4wda.org.vt.edu
My 44 Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-wagoneer-44-build-start-finish-466573/
shmoken875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Dannyboy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoken875
well 3.55-4.56 is a wide range plus theres a good chance you already have 3.55, what size tires are you running? 3.73 is pretty good for 31" tires; 4.10 for 33"; 4.56 for 35"; 4.88 for 37", those are about the ratios that would put you close to stock ratios.
I'm just curious for future purposes:

What does it cost to regear to 3.73s from 3.55s?

I'm talking parts + install (average cost). My shop specializes in Jeeps and offroad stuff so this wouldn't be a real "job" for them; just rebuilding an old puzzle really...

Are we talking around $1000? The reason I'm wondering is that in a couple years I'll be taking my lifted XJ down to college with me. The 31s make it more of a dog on the highway than I'd like for long trips (2 hours)... New gears should help this right?

--Dan.
AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
Jeepsterboy101
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy18

I'm talking parts + install (average cost). My shop specializes in Jeeps and offroad stuff so this wouldn't be a real "job" for them; just rebuilding an old puzzle really...

Are we talking around $1000? The reason I'm wondering is that in a couple years I'll be taking my lifted XJ down to college with me. The 31s make it more of a dog on the highway than I'd like for long trips (2 hours)... New gears should help this right?

--Dan.

I would go with 4.10's with 31's. It would be pointless just to go to 3.73's IMO.
Unread 04-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Dannyboy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsterboy101
I would go with 4.10's with 31's. It would be pointless just to go to 3.73's IMO.
Hmm, alright, so what kind of cost are we looking at here? Plus, how will gears affect gas milage and overall driveability. Will 4.10s make it feel more like it did stock?

--Dan.
AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
Jeepsterboy101
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hmm, alright, so what kind of cost are we looking at here? Plus, how will gears affect gas milage and overall driveability. Will 4.10s make it feel more like it did stock?

--Dan.

Not sure on cost. I will be doing them myself in three weeks. Gas mileage will increase some I believe, I don't see why not. And yea, the 4.10's will make it feel more like stock.
Unread 04-26-2005, 06:08 AM   #8
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoken875
i'm going to have to politely dissagree. i just regeared from 3.55's to 4.56's and am running 32x11.50 tires. this is hands down an awesome combo. now i'm not saying that your above statement is incorrect about bringing you back to stock ratio cause it's early and i'm too lazy to do the math but 4.56's are awesome for 32's.
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2005, 06:19 AM   #9
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

--Dan.
well it depends on what gear ratio you finally decide to go with. i'm not too sure how much you know about axles, so forgive me if i cover stuff you already know...

there is a thing called a 'carrier break' point at which you may or may not need to purchase a new carrier for your gears. and i'm not sure what the stock axles (and your combo of axles) breaks are. so you might have to factor in buying new carriers.

oooooor, if you decide to get certain traction aides that are carriers themselves, you won't need to purchase a new one, just purchase the new traction aid.

then you'll need to purchase a master install kit for both axles. this will have all the new bearings and shims needed for the install.

then you'll need to purchase the new ring-n-pinion for both axles.

the prices very depending on what brand and what vendor you go with. so the best suggestion i can make would be start making some calls and searching through venders on these messageboards.

now price on the labor ... would be best answered by the shop that will be doing the install. i just recently had 4.56's and arb lockers installed in both of my axles for $300 an axle - labor only. it probably would have been a tad bit cheaper w/out the lockers.

hopefully that will give you a good idea of what you need to start hunting prices for.
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.