Different than normal engine compartment battery relocation? Questions? Will it work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Different than normal engine compartment battery relocation? Questions? Will it work?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Engine compartment battery relocation? quick questions?

OK so I've been looking at the engine bay for quite some time now on my 97 Jeep cherokee. Then it was totaled then gone. Now I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and I just noticed this.

In the picture you can see I've moved the coolant reservoir and put in the old battery bracket(for illustration purposes)

Couple of questions.

Will it work(I know it will but what about the heat from the engine?) Do you think the heat will have an above average impact on the battery system itself?

I'm not formilar with how much heat a battery can take so would it be to close to the engine with all the heat? One would think it would be fine.

anyways my goal. Dual battery setup. One by the engine and the other where the air filter is.

Air filter relocated into the cowl.

And york air compressor in the place of the OEM battery location.

Coolant reservoir tank gets moved next to the york(if enough room) or possible put same place just opposite side of engine bay.(air filter side)

Does anyone see any problems with this setup?

I was wondering why I hadn't heard of this idea sooner but then 2000-2001 are distributerless systems. So the 99 and down would have the distributer in the way.

Let me know what you think.

ahuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

sorry bout the junky cell phone pics. but heres two more. normally take pics with the canon rebel.

Unread 02-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Started fabbing up a new battery holder for this. I'll post pics here when I get my camera out.
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Batteries get shorter lives from being too hot, or too cold, or discharged too far.

I would put some sort of insulation if you are moving it closer to the engine.
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Batteries get shorter lives from being too hot, or too cold, or discharged too far.

I would put some sort of insulation if you are moving it closer to the engine.
I have some aluminum fins that normally go to refrigerators. Figure if need be I can rig something up with those. Maybe even go so far as to put in fan's and/or some sort of converted tranny cooler.

I'll see how it works out. If all goes as planned it's going to be one cramped engine compartment.
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Honestly, that would transfer heat to your battery, and be worse off. Batteries come stock from many places with a foil lined or foam sleeve that helps sheild them. You want to keep the heat off of them, they arent generating heat to radiate (at least that would make it useful to cool with fins)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.