Different shackle angles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Different shackle angles

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Different shackle angles

So a couple of weeks ago I noticed my xj was lower on the drivers side than the passengers side, I assumed one of my leafs was just breaking in faster than the other, then when I was trimming my fenders I noticed the angle of the passenger and drivers side shackle was very different, the drivers side was way to the back but the passengers side was fairly straight down but a little to the back. Moving on, when I got my fenders trimmed and my new tires on, I went out for a test run, and after some flexing the shackles are at the same angle and my jeep is back level. So I guess my questions are, was the shackle just stuck in an awkward position and how can I prevent this from happening again?

JerpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Worry about that if it ever happens again. Leaf springs breaking in at different times would be a good reason for what you saw, unless the shackle bolts are unequally or improperly torqued.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I will make sure to check the torque on them soon, I think at that time the shackles are going to be replaced anyways. On a side note, I also need to re-bump stop now, and I have read a bunch of threads that are all pointing me in different directions, is there any way I can estimate what I will need without having to measure exactly what I need? Because its kinda tough when I am normally only home for a few days every couple of weeks and would like to get some ordered ASAP. I have 4.5" lift with trimmed fenders (normal trim in the front and cut and fold in the back, both about 1-2" trim), 33x12.5's with 4" bs, if that helps
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Flex out the suspension and measure how much bump stop you need. As a rough estimate, at 4.5" of lift 2-3" of extended bump stop should be good.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, thanks for the insight, I guess next time I go home I will just have to take some measurements, probably just going to do hockey pucks up front and the 4.1" extended in the back with whatever spacing I need extra added in with tubing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.