Different question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Different question...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Different question...

So my brother rolled his '98 Classic and the roof is pretty muffed up. Dented, creased, and wavy. We jacked it up from the interior, but that only fixed it a little. So, my question is, has anyone got a better way to fix this? We were considering somehow finding a donor cherokee and chopping the roof then splicing. That seems like a lot of work to me, so I figured I'd see what the true Dr. Frankensteins have for ideas. Thanks!

cbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Find a blown, wrecked, or missing drive train xj and swap what needs to be swaped (engine, body panels, drive train)
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

^ easiest and best route to take.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Cut the top off and cage it.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
Cut the top off and cage it.
Always thinking one step ahead.

OP don't even bother to try to "splice it". It'd be much easier to do this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory4um
Find a blown, wrecked, or missing drive train xj and swap what needs to be swaped (engine, body panels, drive train)

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

For some reason that seems like more work to me, but I have a difficult time arguing it. I suppose it depends on how bad the other Cherokee really is.
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you ask real nice like, maybe a collision repair shop would offer suggestions...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So, I think we are still going with the roof splice option. My next question is about what years will work. I know 98-01 is the identical body style. (It's a 4 door) but looking at earlier models roofs they look very similar. Does anyone know or can confirm if other years would be a match. Pillars included.
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ooh ooh, you should splice in a Land Rover Defender roof! Get those nifty little side windows
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Those are probably a little harder to come by than one would think... Hahaha good idea tho!
Unread 03-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #11
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrant View Post
For some reason that seems like more work to me, but I have a difficult time arguing it. I suppose it depends on how bad the other Cherokee really is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrant View Post
So, I think we are still going with the roof splice option. My next question is about what years will work. I know 98-01 is the identical body style. (It's a 4 door) but looking at earlier models roofs they look very similar. Does anyone know or can confirm if other years would be a match. Pillars included.
Sooo.. chopping off the old roof from the donor XJ (including removing all the necessary body panels, finding and drilling all the spot welds, etc..), then finding the same spot welds on the rolled XJ and drilling them open, then welding in the new roof (hoping it wasn't bent during the process of chopping it off and transporting it) and actually make the structural integrity good and making sure your brother's XJ won't end up being all bent and out of shape is easy? Yeah, good luck with that

Finding a donor XJ from similar era, and swapping over parts that are in better shape takes a lot less work. If you're really into doing bodywork, get the XJ rpoughly bent back to shape, chop off the roof, build a cage and make it a trail XJ. Trying to properly splice in a roof section on a unibody vehicle when unwrecked vehicles are found fairly cheeply is just stupid IMO, and it's even more stupid to trying it and doing it all wrong

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Skin a donor roof in at the drip rails. Isn't that tough.
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Photos would help, but I do agree that if it's very damaged at all, a new donor car would be the most logical option. Trying to get a new slice-n-weld top lined up well sounds like a nightmare to me.

I once helped "fix" an 80's Land Cruiser that had rolled. The owner wasn't worried about aesthetics, so all we had to do is get the windshield "hole" "windshield-shaped". We were using big honkin' hydraulic rams and creating some serious violence to get it back to reasonably straight (a very, very relative term). When we were done, it still looked like it had been rolled, but the windshield was in and didn't even leak (or break, at least not during the few years since the fix). The driver's door doesn't fit perfectly, and the roof still has a "custom shape" but it's still on the road.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats94 View Post
Skin a donor roof in at the drip rails. Isn't that tough.
That would help what? OP wrote the pillars are also crushed/ dented, and pulling the pillars straight won't make them strong since they've been already crushed, they need to be replaced.

As I said, IMO it's a stupid idea to replace the roof in the first place, and it's even more stupid doing it all wrong. Chopping & caging the XJ would be the way to go.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Caging it or swapping the good parts to a solid unibody is the only way to do it without a ton of extra work and money. Even cutting from the pillars up off another XJ and welding it in isn't going to be as strong as the original.

Cage it or swap everything. No sense in ruining two XJs.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.