differences between cherokee and grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > differences between cherokee and grand cherokee

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
laxmax44
1998 XJ Cherokee 

differences between cherokee and grand cherokee

what exactly are the differences between a regular cherokee and a grand cherokee. i know the grand is basically the nicer version. but thats about all i could find. i would like to know exactly what the differences are. especially driveline, suspension stuff. i want to get a late 90's cherokee, but dont know if its worth it to look for a grand instead. its going to be a daily driver with decent lift and get its fair share of off-roading. thanks alot for any help

laxmax44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

the grand cherokee has coils and control arms in the rear, cherokees have leaf springs. i'd get a cherokee

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
McWood
1996 XJ Cherokee 

some grands have v8's
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
gregmondro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokaneeGold
some grands have v8's
Grand Cherokees (ZJs and WJs) are both available with the 4.0l I6...
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
McWood
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmondro
Grand Cherokees (ZJs and WJs) are both available with the 4.0l I6...
this is true, the other engine would be the v8
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

the 4.0 is much more reliable

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Uh, the Grand Cherokee is bigger.

Different engines are available, you can actually get a V8 in the Grand. You can still get the 4.0L as well. Depedning upon the year, 3 different transfer cases were available (231, 242, and 249). Also, I'm pretty sure the GC has an IFS front suspension.

If your going to offroad a lot I'd go with the Cherokee. It has a solid front axle which will allow for lotsa flexing where as the GC has the IFS which isn't as desierable offroad. So to sum it up, CHEROKEE!

The Daily Driver
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi V8, 545RFE 5 Speed Auto, NP241, Chrysler 8.0/Chrysler 9.25, 10mpg
MBJR9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
rosader
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJR9
Uh, the Grand Cherokee is bigger.

Different engines are available, you can actually get a V8 in the Grand. You can still get the 4.0L as well. Depedning upon the year, 3 different transfer cases were available (231, 242, and 249). Also, I'm pretty sure the GC has an IFS front suspension.

If your going to offroad a lot I'd go with the Cherokee. It has a solid front axle which will allow for lotsa flexing where as the GC has the IFS which isn't as desierable offroad. So to sum it up, CHEROKEE!
The Grand has a solid front axle. But either way, the Cherokee is a more reliable vehicle.

'02 Isuzu Rodeo Sport
3.2L V6 | automatic | hard top | 4x4
rosader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Macnasty
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe a low pinion D30 as apposed to the hp D30 in the xj except for the 00-01. My gf has an 03 overland and it is a nice ride. Depending on how much wheeling you plan on doing is what would determine the choice for me. Some people wheel their WJ which is 99-04 grand and I would be sick if I took something that nice and risked the possibilty of a roll-over or big nasty dent. A ZJ is also a choice but you are in the XJ forum so you must be leaning this way, no? Look for a 96 XJ alot of members here say that these and a 99 are the best ways to go. 99 had the HO intake and the HP D30 and newer body style which started in 97 but it didnt get the intake til 99.

There is also a difference in the trans case between the grand and the XJ but I'm not sure what they are, 249 tc i think but I dont want to mislead. Check out the ZJ/WJ forum as well.
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosader
The Grand has a solid front axle. But either way, the Cherokee is a more reliable vehicle.
I must of been thinking of the newer ones. Anyone know when they switched over from solid to IFS?

The Daily Driver
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi V8, 545RFE 5 Speed Auto, NP241, Chrysler 8.0/Chrysler 9.25, 10mpg
MBJR9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
gregmondro

When the WK was introduced.
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i had an wj and a xj in the past year and a half.. i like both a lot.

the suspension setup and the way it is stock on a wj is better then my xj's. the axles are wider then tj's/zj's/xj's and are pretty much full width. dana 30 up front and either a dana 35 or danna 44a rear. if u can get quadradrive! ELSD's front and rear. only wk's came with IFs btw

they are completely different vehicles and NO the 4.0 is not more reliable.. the 5.2 lasts forever just as well in ZJ's and the 4.7 in the WJ before 2003 is just as good and hasnt had a problem.

however theres 6323347 times more aftermarket things for a cherokee compared to the grands.

if i didnt have to pay so much for college myself i would have kept the wj but i had to have another jeep one way or the other.

the interior in the wj is so comfortable and.. well.. better in everyway then the xj. i dont have to worry bout my windows or locks not working every so often even wen both my jeeps were 1999 models.

theres soo much differences but good trades offs..

really you'd be good either way.. ask the guys on the ZJ/WJ forums too bout this question.. a lot of people can be biased lol.. no offense
4.5" (~6'') RC lift w/ full leafs, RE 1.25" Shackles, Bilstein 5125's, IRO Custom HI-Clearance LA's,JKS quicker discos, C4x4 Front Hooks, TW's SYE/CV DS, FLO-PRO cat-back, and some 32'' x 11.50" Maxxis Bighorns
GRDCHRKE555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
DreamsOfMoab
1996 XJ Cherokee 

All you guys are Grand haters.

I want mah leather seats
Colorado Jeeper #10

Made famous by:
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274006

Feel free to resurrect that thread at any time :)
DreamsOfMoab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
GoldenOne
1998 ZJ 

cherokee=cheap & easy to lift/cheap & easy to fix-----simple
G cherokee=more expensive to lift/harder & more expensive to fix-----not so simple.

Basically the g-cherokee is gona ride nicer, has more interior room, can tow more (with v8-tow package) has WAY more options, much more luxurious.

I've got a xj and a zj, and when I wana go drive in quiet, haul 4 people around (4 peeps fit much more comfortable in a gc than a cherokee) go to the snow/skiing i take the zj. When im going camping, trailing in hollister, playing in the mud, or just dont wana get 12mpg i drive the xj.
Unread 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenOne
cherokee=cheap & easy to lift/cheap & easy to fix-----simple
G cherokee=more expensive to lift/harder & more expensive to fix-----not so simple.

Basically the g-cherokee is gona ride nicer, has more interior room, can tow more (with v8-tow package) has WAY more options, much more luxurious.

I've got a xj and a zj, and when I wana go drive in quiet, haul 4 people around (4 peeps fit much more comfortable in a gc than a cherokee) go to the snow/skiing i take the zj. When im going camping, trailing in hollister, playing in the mud, or just dont wana get 12mpg i drive the xj.

thats a good way of putting it.. both with work great... just do u have the money? though ive found i never had any trouble with the grand and im spending more fixing stupid stuff on the xj then the wj.

comes down to money for me.. if u have enough for the stuff then i love the grand idea.. lifts are really not that much more expensive.. just not many people make them yet
4.5" (~6'') RC lift w/ full leafs, RE 1.25" Shackles, Bilstein 5125's, IRO Custom HI-Clearance LA's,JKS quicker discos, C4x4 Front Hooks, TW's SYE/CV DS, FLO-PRO cat-back, and some 32'' x 11.50" Maxxis Bighorns
GRDCHRKE555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.