difference between timken rear axle bearings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > difference between timken rear axle bearings

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
tehshoemaker
1996 XJ Cherokee 

difference between timken rear axle bearings

i'm doing a disc conversion in my 8.25 rear end and i'm planning on doing the wheel bearings while everything is apart. however I have a question about the bearing options. there seems to be two different timken bearings spec'd for the 8.25 rear end:

timken part #6408 which looks like your usual bearing
and then this one
timken part #TRP1559TV which has this footnote
"Notes: Optional: axle repair package bearing axle repair bearing allows bearing & seal to ride on un-worn axle path"

just wondering what the difference is and what people would recommend.
cheers!

edit: found a picture of the 2nd bearing, it looks like some sort of all in one bearing?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...817&cc=1180314

tehshoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

One is a regular bearing, and the other is an offset bearing to compensate for axle shaft damage. Unless your axle shaft is damaged at the bearing surface, use the standard bearing.

From Timken:
Repair package bearings replace the original
bearing and seal on axles, which are still in
good condition, whose original bearing and/or
seal contact paths are not suitable for continued
use. The extra-wide Repair Package Bearing repositions
the rollers and seal to ride on unworn
portions of the axle closer to the flange.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
tehshoemaker
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ah that makes sense, thanks
tehshoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.