diesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > diesel

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
fourhwheelin

diesel

eneyone have eney info on I4 or I6 diesel turbo swaps has it been done or am i the first. if it has been done does eneyone have pic's or what i should look for in do this conversion? i was planing on converting that into vegtible oil. O and i will be going in an 88 cherokee for those that dont know your in the cherokee forum...lol

fourhwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
twisted_ed

search for it, theres alot of info on diesel swaps. I woulc google this too cause there are some webpages on cherokees with diesel swaps
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
weldmaster4000

is there any way to convert the stock 4.0 over to a diesel? havent researched AT ALL, just saw this post and respponded

[QUOTE=grandman97]i was screamin at my friends to pee on my back but none of um would, so i had one pee in a gatorade bottle and then i poured in all over my back and legs[/QUOTE]
weldmaster4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 03:21 AM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
There's propably a way to do it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be easy. And it would definitely be very expensive, because there are so many parts you would need to change, and you would propably need to make some parts as well to make things fit etc..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
xhavier_5478
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldmaster4000
is there any way to convert the stock 4.0 over to a diesel? havent researched AT ALL, just saw this post and respponded
you would be much better to just look for a donor diesel, and research the actual mechanics of a diesel motor.
Unread 04-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
Kuasimodem

Maybe a GM 4.3L V6 diesel would be easiest. Use the stock trans for the diesel and an adapter from Advance Adapters to connect to your transfer case.

A late 80's S-10 Blazer would probably be a good donor to find, my neighbor has one.
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
asheets934

It would be so expensive and time consuming, if its possible, without a donor engine and tranny. Especially if you have the AW4 tranny, because of its electronics it doesnt really work with any engine except the 4.0. I read alot of the things out there on a diesel conversion for my XJ and gave up on the idea unless I come across a certain mercedes 5 cylinder diesel and transmission in a scrapyard . . .
asheets934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
JoBo

The simple way to get a diesel cherokee would be to look for one that was brought in from Canada. They pop up every so often and most are on the west coast. They were available all over the world but here in the good old US and were built 100 miles from where I'm sitting in Toledo Ohio. It's the same engine used in the Liberty diesel. Later ones were electronically controled and the earlier ones were conventional. It's a VM diesel built in Italy. They had head gasket problems till the mid nintey's. Or you could look for a early 80's that had the Renualt turbo diesel. There's a guy on the net that used a Perkins diesel on some kind of car but diesels's are not for everyone but I would have one in a heartbeat
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.