did my lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > did my lift

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
jetskiwilly

did my lift

This weekend I set out on doing my lift 98 xj...primarly cosmetic reasons. Planning for 2.5 to 3" lift.

front
96 CG from v8 - front springs
One inch spacers

rear
97 s10 leafs
xj main, s10 main, xj 1st, s10 3rd, xj 2nd xj 3rd (in order)....so I left out
2nd leaf from the s10, ....seemed worked out nice because lenghts all fall shorter has you follow the leafs down.(ones not longer, or same lenght as the leaf below it)

ride heights
front 20"
rear 21" (rear is 4" lift!)

I don't mind the look...back sitting little higher than front and Im thinking it will sit over time, but Im getting vibs in rear on 0-5mph accerlation(don't really notice it accerlating from higher speeds), and can clearly see pinon angles are not pretty.

Should I add 1 degree shims? (whatever autozone sells, I believe they are 1 degree) or should I remove s10 3rd, and replace with s10 second(longer leaf), and am I going to see any problems adding JK shocks with 4" lift?

SIDE NOTES: really enjoyed doing this lift....good research made come together easy. snapped a shock bolt. tried extending stock shocks with union and thread(typical automotive stores, or lowes doesn't carry m10-1.5 union grrrr). Jacking opposite side of axel really helped remove/replace springs, time....only me, 2 monster energy's - 4 hours friday night, 10 hours saturday (minus lunch smoke breaks, and 1 hour trip to lowes to search for unions).......I still have shocks/sway bars to install (guessing 4 hours not including fab work)......hardest part was installing heavy wheels/tires. With 3-4 lift, 31" tires still rub! (they do have alot of offset, stick out inch past fenders)

Also wanted to give the next guy a closer price cost of a diy build....

JK shocks...yet to be bought...from autozone $160, craigslist specials $50-100 used 0 miles to 25k. Jeep dealership hasn't been much help, first time I ask for old parts they said they just trashed them all, 2 months later check back each week, yet to have any freebys for me

springs.....$20 each - pull-a-part
leafs.....$32 each pull-a-part
coil spacer - $25 1" ebay
misc bolts (sway bar ext, leaf through bolt) $15
wranger brake line - $15
u-bolts - online 4x4 shop $25 shipped
total------------$~184.00

0730121456.jpg   0730121456a.jpg   0730121457.jpg  

Last edited by jetskiwilly; 07-30-2012 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: adding
jetskiwilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
MeanGreenBean
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I would try and get the rear down a smidge. I cant tell you which one to replace with another, its gonna take some trial and error. If that doesnt work the shim or a tcase drop would help. At this amount of lift your gonna get vibes.
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer case drop, or MEASURE your angles BEFORE installing shims.
Absent a SYE / Dbl Cardan driveshaft, your pinion angle should be parallel with the transfer case angle.
The Tom Woods web page has a write up on this.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
jtenhundfeld

my friend has the same jeep and he just put a 3.5" rubicon express lift on it. He does not have a transfer case drop but he is ordering one because he is getting really bad vibrations at all speeds and especially 30-40. He hasnt really gone much faster since he just put the lift on and lives in the city, so he hasnt taken it out on the highway yet. He heard that the transfer case drop is bad on the engine mounts. Is that true? I have an 07 Chevrolet Colorado and after I lifted my truck and did a tcase drop it didnt affect the engine mounts. So I was just wondering with these XJ's, will the tcase drop be bad on the engine mounts or are there any downsides to doing the tcase drop?
jtenhundfeld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
jetskiwilly

From what I have heard, T drop is a cheap mans way to fix the problem, kinda like putting bubble gum in a crack on a dam. Seems like it would hurt the mounts...as your angling the motor and twisting the mounts.
jetskiwilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.