did i buy the right head? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > did i buy the right head?

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
corcan1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

did i buy the right head?

So took my head into a machine shop and had them test it. Said it was cracked.
Went to a scrap yard and found a engine that looked just like mine. $100 later and I was at home stripping it apart.
While I was taking it apart I could see small differences. Power steering pump mounted differently onto the intake. Head bolts were regular 6 point not 12 point like in my 1997, and I think the AC bracket was sort of different.

My jeep is a 1997 jeep Cherokee sport with the 4.0l i6 engine
This scrap yard engine I'm not sure on the year. Pretty sure its older. Its a 4.0l and fuel injected and has the distributor just like mine.
These are the cast markings I found on the block. Hope it helps identify what year and if its the same as mine.
IF
15 93
4.0L-2

corcan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
89GerberXJ

It is my understanding that the heads are compatible with one another.

However, the intake manifolds have changed slightly up to '99 the manifold used on '99-'06 is much more free flowing. It has a curved shape instead of the boxy shape. Huge difference ill post some pics soon.

The intake manifold is what your power steering pump and brackets bolt to.

The head bolts should not matter in the number of points on the head as long as it is a head bolt the same length width and thread. DO NOT REUSE HEAD BOLTS. They are cheap enough to buy new.

And it looks like that engine was made in '93
89GerberXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by corcan1 View Post
That's a '91-'95 engine block. Check the head casting number, it should be 7120 on the '91-'95. The '96-'99 casting is 0630 which is slightly different from the earlier HO head. 7120 is compatible with your engine, but the intake/ exhaust flow rates are slightly better on the '96-'99 head (which is the best of all the HO- era 4.0 heads).

edit: I can't remember exactly if they started using the alignment pins on the engine block around '96 or '97 (or later?). Earlier heads don't have the holes drilled for the dowel pins. It's not a huge problem though, alignment pins are there to help head alignment when installing it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
corcan1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yup
Has 7120 on the head.
Great news, thanks guys.

Head is getting rebuilt and should have it back Monday.
corcan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.