Did all Cherokee Sports come with the "sport" logo? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Did all Cherokee Sports come with the "sport" logo?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 08-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did all Cherokee Sports come with the "sport" logo?

JF, Im in the market for an xj. I have been looking at them daily off CL but found a gem tonight. 98', black cherokee sport. 4dr, 5sp manual trans, 4.0, np231 t-case, chrysler 8.25 rear end...NO rust anywhere, no dents or dings, and the interior is even cleaner. Only downfall is that it has 170k miles but starts, idles, drives, shifts...great! Its even a 1 owner vehicle and has no leaks. The owner said its a sport, and so did the auto check report (same as carfax), however theres no "sport" stickers, also no "4x4" stickers. Also, doesnt say "4.0" on the trunk. Do you think it was repainted or did some come with only paint (this ones black) ?? Other than that its great and im paying $2400. Please let me know what you think, supposed to go back to finalize the deal in the morning. Thank you!

straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
optdoug
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Didn't they change the name to Classic in 98?
optdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im not sure, the auto check said "classic/sport" and the owner said its just a sport so idk. What do you think. Also, worth $2400? Thank you Doug
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
optdoug
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If it is a nice as you say it is, It's prbably worth it. I have one with 220k and another with 255k and both still run fine and I beat the hell out of mine.
optdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That is very good to know. The temp gauge on this one never went past 210 and it has 40psi of oil pressure driving. Dropped to around 15psi as idle but i read thats normal. I will try cleaning the sending unit however. Any idea on the decals though??
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The decals are easy to peel off. If it bothers you that much they can be replaced for about $28 each

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Doesnt bother me just wondering if its factory or if its been repainted. The only logo it has is the one on the front bumper.
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

First thing I did to my Cherokee was peel off all the letters.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you are buying it from the original owner just ask him if it's been repainted. If it were me, I'd buy it if it's as nice as you say it is regardless.
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Woohoo bought me an XJ That was right after I bought it, iv since given it a bath, may even wax it tomorrow.
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep
Woohoo bought me an XJ That was right after I bought it, iv since given it a bath, may even wax it tomorrow.
Call the xj saggy
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Gheap

Nice one! Take good care of it
Gheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #13
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You can get a copy of the "window sticker" from Chrysler. That will tell you the original color and model...
And if it WAS repainted, I'd want to know why BEFORE I bought it :/
But if it drives straight and everything works I'd say you got a good deal.
Just keep the oil clean and the coolant topped off
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

My 98 said sport on the fenders.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the tips and kind words guys! Clear carfax shows no accidents and only 1 owner. If it was repainted it was probably due to the paint being faded, however I feel it was garage kept most of its life since theres no rust. Iv got new shocks to put on today, the leafs may be a little weak to. Looks to have brand new shocks up front along with the steering stabilizer. Il take it to the jeep dealer to get a printout of all the original options.

Tags
xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.