Diagnosing front end/steering doom - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Diagnosing front end/steering doom

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-31-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Diagnosing front end/steering doom

My 97 was a police car it's entire life up until February. It just turned 80,000 miles however. When I got it, I noticed the steering wheel is wandering to the right about 15 degrees while going down the road. I don't have any vibration in the steering whatsoever. However, I do have to pull the wheel to the left to stay centered, and the right front tire is worn heavily on the outer edge.

That being said, I also have some noise issues. When going down a county road or hitting some bumps on the street, I get a loud thump under the passenger side of the Jeep. There is also some "jangling" noises from the front right.

I jacked the Jeep up today and tried wiggling the front wheels back and forth like you would to check for ball joint issues, but they didn't budge at all. I did notice that nearly every rubber part in the suspension/steering is cracked and rotted to oblivion. My thinking was to just get in Rock Auto and order ball joints, tie rod ends, a track bar, and control arm bushings and throw them at it and see what changes, but that seems like it could maybe hide an underlying problem. Any ideas appreciated. I need to solve this before winter as I'm planning to purchase some tires in the fall.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Dint forget the sway bar end links and an aliment
Unread 08-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Refresh all steering/suspension connections with new rubber and joints. Then get it aligned. New tires with good balance will finish the job.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff
Sounds like you are on the right track. Refresh all steering/suspension connections with new rubber and joints. Then get it aligned. New tires with good balance will finish the job.
^^ do this. I had the exact same issue, was like a "danger ride" every time I drove it. Ball joints, control arm bushings, steering ends, and you'll probably be good to go. I don't have a steering dampener anymore. The steering is SUPER tight now.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.