diagnose my backfiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > diagnose my backfiring

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
xjberto

diagnose my backfiring

Hello guys. Im new here and pretty new to jeeps in general. I recently picked up a 98 xj with 166k miles. When I first got it it would do the studdering acceleration and backfire. I did a tune up (oil change, air filter, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor) also changed the tps and the car was running nice and smooth.

Now im starting to get the studdering backfire problems again. Some other issues I noticed that might help narrow this down are two check engine codes. One for evap system and the other for fuel sending unit. Another thing I noticed is when I cold start the car it idles low like the car has been warmed up already.

Any advice is appreciated

xjberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Fix the issues shown by the Check Engine Light trouble codes.

Bucking, stalling, or backfiring is usually caused by O2 sensor issues. O2 sensor life is about 100-150,000 miles. You can test the O2 sensors, but one might correctly assume that they are overdue for changing.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
xjberto

Can a faulty alternator cause these issues?
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes. The Jeep ECU and sensors are very sensitive to voltage problems, and poor quality ground connections.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
xjberto

I think thats my issues. I did get an o2 sensor that I can hopefully get in tomorrow. Seems to be getting worse. Today as I was driving I was getting a lot of popping sounds from the exhaust manifold. Also while accelerating it would stop accelerating and the rpms would drop and then it would surge back up. Two times today while on the brakes to slow down the car completely shut off. Im getting some squeeky sounds from the alternator area. The sound comes and goes.
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
xjberto

Finally got my o2 sensor swapped out. Also went ahead and cleaned my throttle body, it had a lot of carbon build up inside. And I cleaned up some of the grounds. The jeep is running so much smoother. Thanks Tim.

Now I can focus on getting lifted.

Tags
backfiring , bucking , o2 sensor , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.