Decommissioning the jeep for a month.... Super tune up time! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Decommissioning the jeep for a month.... Super tune up time!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 08-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Decommissioning the jeep for a month.... Super tune up time!

Ok so i got my old vw jetta for a month so it gives me time to put all my money into fixing my jeep instead of gas hahaha.

So here is my list of stuff i need to repair/replace/mod/etc.

This is all mainly preventative maintenance

Brake pads/shoes need replacing
Front rotors
Rear drums
Ac Clutch
Radiator and cap need replacing.
Sparkplugs, wires, cap, rotor.
Air filter
Fan clutch (or put a taurus fan in)
T-stat
Water pump
Adjustable track bar
Install my GC tie rod
Alignment
Rear main seal
Oil pan gasket
Diff fluid change
New drivers side seat
New valve cover since mine has a huge mystery hole in it

Already have new radiator hoses, Altenator, Battery, Tons of new sensors, Distributor, pretty much all of the non tune up stuff has already been replaced.

Anything else i should be doing while i have the chance? i want this ****er to last a hell of a lot longer. 180k miles is not nearly enough, im going for 350k before i let it explode, and if its still rolling MILLION MILE XJ!

Edit: whats a reasonably priced trackbar?

C4x4 Front tow hooks.
Nates 4x4 rear bumper w/receiver and shackles
Iron rock offroad double shear adj trackbar
Jameslol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Mkonyn
2002 WJ 

Healthy list. I'm jealous. I need to do this once I finish fixing my old dodge's blown head and don't have to drive the jeep around.

Only thing I can think of which you didn't list (or I missed) is fuel injectors and some good ol fashion TB scrubbing . Course, I don't know if you've already done both, but just a suggestion to throw into the cheaper preventative maintenance category.
Mkonyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i could use some injectors, god knows when they were replaced. Maybe i will just soak them in cleaner for a while since im gonna be tight on cash and should pinch some pennies The TB has been scrubbed since i got some dirt and a tiny bit of mud in there.

Im really excited to start fixing it up, its always fix it when it breaks, now its fix it before it breaks!
C4x4 Front tow hooks.
Unread 08-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
Mkonyn
2002 WJ 

Haha. Yeh, my neighbors all think I'm crazy...last two weeks I've really done a lot of little things (not as major as what you're planning)...unfortunately my "garage" is a main road leading into the neighborhood and my "work station" is a 3/4" wood table with a folding leg on one side and rollers so it can slide out my trunk. Made an attachment so it hooks into my trailer hitch and it works great. Think I've been out in the road till about 2am every night. Just now finished up with a compression test (I like to keep an eye on what the chambers are tellin me).

Did think of a few other things I've done in the past few months...
-Electronic fan cleaning. Man, i pulled that thing apart and was shocked at how nasty it was. Got it shiny new and it seems to be pulling better as my heat gauge is sitting in around the 205 area as where it would be just a bit over 210.
-Grease up the slip joints (may have been already done). Always good to keep them axel's smooth, and why not if you're going to be workin on the drums and rotors?
-A can or two of undercarriage anti-rust or what you might call it never hurt anyone

Might think of a few other's that I've done. Trust me, I feel the tight budget. Maybe grab a can of SeaFoam and drop it in the gas tank too. I love that stuff...though I don't really understand what all it affects...something like killing the gremlins and feeding the hamsters in your engine .
Mkonyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah man i feel ya, i got some looks cutting 1/8th inch steel sheets for patching holes on the side of the road hahahaha. People would stop and watch and i would wave as sparks are flying everywhere

I seafoamed my jeep one time all over didnt really notice a single thing from it and im kinda leery about putting anything in the jeep besides gas and oil haha.

Im lucky now though since i have a nice driveway to work in and by nice i mean crumbling cement but it beats the side of the road plus i have outlets nearby and a nice shop light so im set. Just got paid today so tuesday im going out to start buying stuff wooo. I will be buying new craftsman tools alongside this too so im excited.
C4x4 Front tow hooks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.