death wobble help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > death wobble help!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
cherokeetina220
1997 XJ Cherokee 

death wobble help!!!

I have serious vibrations coming from my front left tire. I know its the death wobble.im freaking out because what do I have to do to fix this?? Do I need a new track bar? Bushings? And my jeep is stock and not lifted. Please help!

cherokeetina220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well, there are quite a few things that could cause DW, so step back and take a good look at your vehicle. We cannot tell you what is causing your DW, we can only guess.

DW is not really a vibration, it’s more like driving along all fine, hit a bump and your jeep as a seizure, or basically the front end will shake left right. So maybe your tires are out of balance?

If that's not it then get under the vehicle and inspect for warn or damaged parts. If you cannot see any visibly warn parts then have someone manipulate the steering wheel and check for abnormal movement, pay close attention to the track bar at both the ball joint and bushing end. If that all checks out inspect the frame area around the trackbar bracket and check for cracks or loose hardware. If all of that is fine then what kind of condition are your shocks in? When is the last time they were replaced? Shocks do not last forever.

There are a few other things that could cause DW but these are the basics. . .

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
eprovenzano
2005 WK 

On my son's XJ we changed ball joints, but still had DW. We found the track bar had elongated its mounting hole. We pulled the TB bolt, added a washer and re-tightened the bolt. The washer was then welded to the jeep... no more DW.

I didn't think that was the issue, but after reading and reading posts on DW, the track bar seems to be the biggest culprit.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

DW culprits from my personal exp.
Tie rod ends.
Track bar
Ball Joints
Tires need balencing.
The stering stabolizer(the shock absorber on the tierod to axle)

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

DW is when both tires shake back and forth violently in unison. You won't get DW on one tire.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeetina220 View Post
I have serious vibrations coming from my front left tire. I know its the death wobble.
No, you don't know DW is not just one tire and you don't really know it comes from one specific location. DW is something that literally tries to shake your vehicle into pieces.

If you know the vibes are from left front, go get it balanced, or check for bad/ broken bead or ply.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

A vibration or shaking from one tire typically is a balance issue, a tire that the tread is starting to separate, or, in rare cases, a bent rim. If the tread is starting to separate, the tire will show wear on one portion of the tread more so than the rest. It may also be apparent when driving slowly across a smooth surface, as you can feel one corner of the vehicle rise and fall with the bad spot in the tire. At higher speeds, it becomes a vibration, similar to a tire out of balance, and may have a thumping sound with it as the tire goes down the road. If you suspect a bad tire, pull the wheel and have it run on the spin balancer. Look toward the face of the wheel and note if there is any visible "hopping" at the top of the tire as it passes.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to jeepforum Tina!
It does sound more like a problem with the one tire to me. Get it checked out.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Swap the left side tires front to back and see if the symptoms change. Check the left front shock (bad bushings can cause some pretty "interesting" vibrations if the tire's a little out of balance). An unbalanced wheel alone should NEVER cause DW unless it's out of balance by a whole lot - it normally takes some play in the system to create a DW or even "bad vibration" situation (in my case, it was a bad shock).
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
booman75
1979 CJ5 

I have been having similar issues with this.. i would get at a certain speed it would go into a seizure lol i could see the left side but never was able to check passenger side..even sometimes if i hit a bump would cause it.. had left side an others rebalanced checked for worn parts have replaced most of them came down to the stablizer shock ( shimmy shock ) replaced it so far so good.
booman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hi, booman75 - I'll be the first to point out that the "problem" is never the steering stabilizer, but it reduces the tendency of some other problem to "build" all the way up to DW. I'm afraid you're going to still have to track down the issue someday after that new stabilizer wears out a little...
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
jlewis7168

rotate both of the tires from the front to the back. That fixed my problem. my front passenger tire was bad.
jlewis7168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

*That fixed my problem.

well kinda for now anyways lol.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
jlewis7168

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
*That fixed my problem.

well kinda for now anyways lol.
I'm glad that I could help. I haven't had any death wobble in the last month when it used to happen every day before the tire rotation.
jlewis7168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
cherokeetina220
1997 XJ Cherokee 

figured out why I have death wobble

Well my buddy who used to work at a jeep dealership looked underneath my front end and said that the ball joint and bushing is screwed.so I gotta fix that.as for the track bar he thinks it might be ok.and eventually im going to have to fix the steering stabilizer. So there we go now to get the cabbage to fix this crap!!
cherokeetina220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.