Death wobble at 45mph when braking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Death wobble at 45mph when braking?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Death wobble at 45mph when braking?

Just had my rims and tires balanced rotated thinking itd take care of my death wobble when i hit my brakes. It only does it when i hit my brakes and im pretty much ruleing out warped rotors as it only happends at 45 mph. Control arm bushings or track bar?

Jeepnbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Warped rotors.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not throwing it out the window but if they were warped wouldnd it happen at other times then just at 45?
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If it only happens when you are braking, it is brake related.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
jjshbetz11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Had this problem with my 96, he is correct it's the rotors, replace pads as well

sent from a flat black thingie

Hello 2000xj
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

interesting as i did look at my rotors today and seen they will need to replaced soon. Thanks for yours guys input.
Unread 11-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

EZ to fix/ rule out.

Either take them off and have them resurfaced...or replace them. If you take them to have them resurfaced...they'll probably tell you they're warped or played out.

Could also be rear brakes. The rear drums on my Nissan were shot...but it felt like the front end...weird, but true.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Jeepnbo
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
EZ to fix/ rule out.

Either take them off and have them resurfaced...or replace them. If you take them to have them resurfaced...they'll probably tell you they're warped or played out.

Could also be rear brakes. The rear drums on my Nissan were shot...but it felt like the front end...weird, but true.
Yes very ture. I'll replace them as i already have 2 sets of pads layin around so hopefully itll resolve my issue. I hope it isnt the drums as i already had them gone threw.
Unread 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
jjshbetz11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If its your rear breaks I would assume you have worn bushings or else somewhere in your suspension up front allowing your front axle to move sideways. I would go through the front susp. And look for loose bolts, just use a torque wrench...... Tightened my track bar bolt on axle and snapped that mutha.... Not a good time hack sawing through the bolt.....

sent from a flat black thingie

Hello 2000xj
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.