Death Rattle of Death: Part Deux - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Death Rattle of Death: Part Deux

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
BurlySurly

Death Rattle of Death: Part Deux

For Part 1:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...t=death+rattle

Alright, so I went through all of the steps given to me in that last thread and didnt find fix the thing, so I dropped the trans, and took off the torque converter and the flexplate and WOW, the flexplate was cracked all the way around and was wobbling back and forth, thats what was causing the DEATH RATTLE of DEATH after all.
So I got a new one, and installed it AND NOW IT WONT START!!!!

But one thing i noticed before the install was that the pattern of cutaway sections of steel around the edges of the plate were different than the ones on the stock plate, I checked my Haynes manual, which said the sensor on the bell housing read the teeth off the flywheel, not the cutaway areas, and the rest was identical. Could Haynes have steered me wrong and could this sensor be stopping my Heep from starting?

I have done so much work on this thing in the past couple weeks and I need it to run. When I try to start the vehicle, it just sounds like the timing is WAY off, and yes, I am getting spark and fuel. Im so confused.

EDIT: I also put in a new rear main seal, oil pump, trans filter, trans seals, pan seals for engine and trans, new plugs wires, etc. etc. etc...

I'll paypal anyone who correctly identifies my problem $5 seriously.

I am getting ****ing tired of this.

Necropheliac Jeep Club: Member #1

'93 XJ
4.0 Inline 6
2 Door
Automatic

....mods coming soon, I swear.
BurlySurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
creeperjeep

Ill be willing to bet that the problem is with the crank angle sensor on the back of the motor above the bell housing, mabey there is metal in the sensor, or it is jarred loose, take a good look at it
Unread 01-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
BurlySurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeperjeep
Ill be willing to bet that the problem is with the crank angle sensor on the back of the motor above the bell housing, mabey there is metal in the sensor, or it is jarred loose, take a good look at it
The only way that sensor is busted is if I did it in taking the trans out, because it started before I did all this work. Ill give it a look.

'93 XJ
4.0 Inline 6
2 Door
Automatic

Unread 01-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
BurlySurly

Ok, well, turns out the flywheel/flexplate from a 1990 will not work on 1993 becuase the crank angle sensor reads the grooves in the back, which are slightly different.

Now Ive got another problem.

Neither Autozone nor Advance Auto carry that part for a 93, I have no idea why. Anyone know of someplace besides a dealer or scrapyard that would?

Anyone got a tranny out right now any want to sell me theirs?

'93 XJ
4.0 Inline 6
2 Door
Automatic

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.