Death Rattle of Death... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Death Rattle of Death...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-14-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
BurlySurly

Death Rattle of Death...

Ok guys, need some diagnosis help here. My searches have yielded nothing, and I know you guys know some stuff.

My jeep makes a clackity-clackity-clack whenever I am idling and it goes away as my RPMs begin to rise. It has done this for a while, but also went away for about a month and then came back.

I though it sounded like the fan hitting a shroud or something for the longest time, but its not. As i raise up the hood, its coming from what sounds like the back of the engine/ front of the tranny, but Im not sure.

It runs fine, shifts fine, gets good gas mileage. It just makes the crazy racket. What should I do, short of taking it to a mechanic?

Any idea what the sound is or how to fix it? Like i said, it totally goes away as I start driving, and the clackity-clacking goes up with the RPMs then simply goes away. Im stumped.

Necropheliac Jeep Club: Member #1

'93 XJ
4.0 Inline 6
2 Door
Automatic

....mods coming soon, I swear.
BurlySurly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
xj4play
2004 KJ Liberty 

Mine was making a similar noise, more of a rattling sound, coming from the same area. It turned out to be the tranny mount, it was WAY hosed.

There is a bracket that attaches to the mounting bolts where the TM meets the tranny housing. That bracket supports the cat, so as the tranny was moving/vibrating due to the bad TM, the cat was moving along with it and rattling against the undercarriage.

If you have never replaced the TM, it is probably overdue. They're cheap and easy to install, it's worth the effort, believe me!

Good luck!
xj4play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
BurlySurly

Im gunna go and check that now, but being underneath it while running, I didnt notice any vibration.

Ive also checked the cat conv. like some guy on here was having problems with, and thats DEFINITELY not it.

BRB.

'93 XJ
4.0 Inline 6
2 Door
Automatic

Unread 12-14-2004, 12:40 PM   #4
BurlySurly

Ok, all the mounts seem solid. There is literally no vibration and everything seems to be running smooth. It just sounds as if its in the very front of the tranny from what I can tell.

its an automatic, what could be wrong that would cause such a noise?

Someone said something to me about a "flywheel" screw up or something, do automatics have flywheels even?

Any suggestions would be cool.

'93 XJ
4.0 Inline 6
2 Door
Automatic

Unread 12-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
xj4play
2004 KJ Liberty 

When I was chasing down the noise, I thought the same thing, the tranny mount looks good, I didn't see any movement. But one day, I decided since I had already done the motor mounts, I'd better do the tranny mount as well. After all, it had been exposed to oil leaks, weather, etc. for better than a quarter million miles. As it turned out, the rubber was badly deteriorated and allowing the tranny to move just enough to piss me off with that gawd-awful noise.

Keep in mind, XJ's love to eat motor mounts and tranny mounts...

I've also heard stories of the flex plate/flywheel bolts working loose (automatic=flex plate, manual=flywheel). You might try tightening them up.
Unread 12-14-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
BurlySurly

alright, well, im going to be replacing a seal here pretty soon anyhow, any immediate danger to driving it as-is for another couple weeks (bear in mind, its been doing this for a while) until I have to drop the tranny anyway? Or should I go ahead and order the parts and get it done?

EDIT: And also, my cat is not moving at all, so do you think that's still the problem, as its not tapping my under carriage at all?

'93 XJ
4.0 Inline 6
2 Door
Automatic

Unread 12-14-2004, 12:57 PM   #7
scubaguy19

I've had this same problem(I think) i've never heard of anyone else having it before, but my torque converter bolts came loose, doesn't take much at all just like a half turn on them and they'll make all the noise int he world at idle. Anyways, if you look at the front of the transmission there's a lil metal plate there and bolts that go around it some small some big, just undo all those bolts and take that metal plate off, and then you'll be lookin at the flywheel or whatever automatics have and you might see one bolt lookin at it but there are 4 or 5 total, you'll need to put a big a** socket on the front of the engine to turn it don't know what its called but theres a bolt on a pully in the front of the engine all the way at the bottom, but you can turn that to turn the flywheel and torque converter to get to allt he bolts, and just tighten them up and then turn some more to get to the next one and tighten them up again, there are torque specs in a haynes manual for them and i tried my best to do that but there isn't really enough room to get a torque wrench in there(atleast not mine) so itried my best and they loosened again so i just went in and tightened them down real good and its been fine. but yeah just pull that plate off tighten those bolts put the plate back on and it should be good to go

[QUOTE=Centrax]There should be a warning label on the sun visor of those H2's "Warning, not intended for off road use." It's not even a REAL Humvee, it's just a Chevy Tahoe with fugly body panels.[/QUOTE]

thats hilarious
scubaguy19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2004, 01:02 PM   #8
BurlySurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaguy19
I've had this same problem(I think) i've never heard of anyone else having it before, but my torque converter bolts came loose, doesn't take much at all just like a half turn on them and they'll make all the noise int he world at idle. Anyways, if you look at the front of the transmission there's a lil metal plate there and bolts that go around it some small some big, just undo all those bolts and take that metal plate off, and then you'll be lookin at the flywheel or whatever automatics have and you might see one bolt lookin at it but there are 4 or 5 total, you'll need to put a big a** socket on the front of the engine to turn it don't know what its called but theres a bolt on a pully in the front of the engine all the way at the bottom, but you can turn that to turn the flywheel and torque converter to get to allt he bolts, and just tighten them up and then turn some more to get to the next one and tighten them up again, there are torque specs in a haynes manual for them and i tried my best to do that but there isn't really enough room to get a torque wrench in there(atleast not mine) so itried my best and they loosened again so i just went in and tightened them down real good and its been fine. but yeah just pull that plate off tighten those bolts put the plate back on and it should be good to go
From the sound Im getting, I think that sounds pretty on- target with what's going on. I will give this a shot as well.

'93 XJ
4.0 Inline 6
2 Door
Automatic

Unread 12-14-2004, 01:15 PM   #9
xj4play
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlySurly
alright, well, im going to be replacing a seal here pretty soon anyhow, any immediate danger to driving it as-is for another couple weeks (bear in mind, its been doing this for a while) until I have to drop the tranny anyway? Or should I go ahead and order the parts and get it done?

EDIT: And also, my cat is not moving at all, so do you think that's still the problem, as its not tapping my under carriage at all?
If you decide to replace the TM, it is pretty easy and you don't have to drop the tranny to do it. On a side note, you don't have to drop the tranny to replace the rear main seal either.

I had the noise for a long time before I fixed the TM, I don't think you are going to encounter any major problems if you wait...
Unread 12-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #10
BurlySurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj4play
If you decide to replace the TM, it is pretty easy and you don't have to drop the tranny to do it. On a side note, you don't have to drop the tranny to replace the rear main seal either.

I had the noise for a long time before I fixed the TM, I don't think you are going to encounter any major problems if you wait...
Right on. Thanks.

I also just read that piece on replacing the rear main. Pretty easy job it looks like.

'93 XJ
4.0 Inline 6
2 Door
Automatic

Unread 12-14-2004, 01:27 PM   #11
xj4play
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlySurly
Right on. Thanks.

I also just read that piece on replacing the rear main. Pretty easy job it looks like.
Yeah, it shouldn't be too bad. I had it replaced when I first bought the Jeep 5 years ago, but now it needs replacing again. I figure I'll do it myself this time.

Do yourself a favor and get the one piece oil pan seal!
Unread 02-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #12
ZJ_COWBOY
1994 ZJ 

It could be as simple at the exaust. Mine does it rerverse. Just try and put a shovel to the exaust and have some one see if it makes any sounds

2001 Neon getting 30 MPG w00t!
94 ZJ $200 Project.
ZJ_COWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
inkmonki

I Have Also Got This Problem

The Only Dif Is That Mine Is A 5 Speed And I Does Exactly As You Described. Give It Gas And Its Gone. Same Location Too. Thanks For The Problematic Ideas Im Having A Look At Them Theis Weekend Cause I Also Have Other Issues With My Tranny Right Now.
inkmonki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.