Dead Jeep even after replaced CPS and pick up sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dead Jeep even after replaced CPS and pick up sensor

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 10-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dead Jeep even after replaced CPS and pick up sensor

Hey guys I swapped the CPS yesterday after my Jeep won't start
even with a new camshaft / pickup sensor and ended up putting the old pick up sensor back on and it cranked and ran fine. Drove it about 20 miles and now it's dead again. It started studdering on my way to a buddys house last
night and I made it but now it won't start.

CEL came on right before the studdering started back.

Any help? Any ideas?

-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh and I went and had the diagnostics clecked and it
came back as the pick-up sensor. It didn't work so I tried the CPS.

Anybody had the same problem?
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
Unread 10-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Could it be possible that the replacement cam sensor you got was bad? I have gotten a few bad sensors before.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well the one I put in it to replace the stock one had a little different plug but it fit. It wouldn't start after I replaced so I changed the CPS. It did great. Now it's broke down again.

I'm gonna go get another cam sensor tomorrow and see if that's it. Idk
Unread 10-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Be sure that the "connectors" for both the cam and crank sensors are clean. If there is debris in the connectors, it creates a resistance path which can inhibit the signal from making it to the computer. A can of electrical contact cleaner is the ticket here....

Remember that there is also a connector for the crank sensor inside the engine bay near the firewall #6 injector. Unplug, clean, reassemble.
tjwalker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
malibill

possiable fix..

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofire75 View Post
Hey guys I swapped the CPS yesterday after my Jeep won't start
even with a new camshaft / pickup sensor and ended up putting the old pick up sensor back on and it cranked and ran fine. Drove it about 20 miles and now it's dead again. It started studdering on my way to a buddys house last
night and I made it but now it won't start.

CEL came on right before the studdering started back.

Any help? Any ideas?
Hi, Bill here just went through the same thing replaced everything throttle body, crank sensor, fuel injectors, dist, coil ,fuel pump everything .. still crank but no start fuel at rail and spark at plugs.. drove me crazy try takeing out the front 02 sensor and see if it starts my cat was completly clogged solid .. Installed a new cat and front 02 sensor run`s like new.. hopefully this is what youre problem is..
malibill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.