Data Link Connector on '94 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Data Link Connector on '94 XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
jcledfo2
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Data Link Connector on '94 XJ

I am having a good ole time trying to figure out these Data Link Connectors for my '94 XJ. I have been having engine issues and want to log what is happening when I run it around the block. I built the simple transistor and double transistor ALDL cable so I can hook it up to my laptop and log with TTS Datamaster or WinALDL. The issue I am running into is that I have searched all over the forums and I am getting mixed answers on the connector I need to use. I have the "L" shaped connector on the driver side beside the ECM. I also have a thin black connector bolted underneath the dash on the driver side (photo attached). Autozone website says this is a DLC too????? There is also a black plug hanging under the dash which is a 4x2 but only has 4 metal contacts in the top row, bottom row is empty. I have tried connecting my cable to the "L" shaped connector but didn't get an signal.

Any help is greatly appreciated

20140306_004148.jpg   20140306_004157.jpg  
jcledfo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That looks like a security device. There's a little key with a circuit board that pushes into that. Without it, the engine won't start. Had one on a '94 Suburban. The dl is on the other side of the drivers compartment tucked up where the center console and dash come together and in the engine bay, just in front of the ECM where the harness attaches.
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcledfo2 View Post
I am having a good ole time trying to figure out these Data Link Connectors for my '94 XJ. I have been having engine issues and want to log what is happening when I run it around the block. I built the simple transistor and double transistor ALDL cable so I can hook it up to my laptop and log with TTS Datamaster or WinALDL. The issue I am running into is that I have searched all over the forums and I am getting mixed answers on the connector I need to use. I have the "L" shaped connector on the driver side beside the ECM. I also have a thin black connector bolted underneath the dash on the driver side (photo attached). Autozone website says this is a DLC too????? There is also a black plug hanging under the dash which is a 4x2 but only has 4 metal contacts in the top row, bottom row is empty. I have tried connecting my cable to the "L" shaped connector but didn't get an signal.

Any help is greatly appreciated
ECM = PCM

It looks like the PO wanted to wear big boy pants and put a DLC under the dash, like the OBD II big boys.

That connector resembles a 1993 DLC but the wire colors don't match the '94 or '93 DLC wires. I've attached a diagram of the '93 DLC as reference.

The '93 and '94 DLC interface match, in terms of wire colors, PCM and TCM termination, and ground and power source.

The PO may have bypassed the DLC in the engine bay and ran his own wires to the new DLC, which I don't think match the original DLC wire colors, and why you can't get anything from the DLC in the engine bay.

You'll have to read out the pin cavities on the new connector to see which is power and which is ground.

Looking at the '93 diagram (which is blurry), the YEL-BLK wire, pin cav 5, goes to pin cav C4 on the TCM connector. The WHT-BLK wire, pin cav 3 goes to pin cav 46 on the PCM - this is the Serial Communications Interface (SCI) Receive Buss (-). The VIO-BRN wire, pin cav 4, goes to goes to pin cav 26 on the PCM - this is the Serial Communications Interface (SCI) Transmit Buss (+).

If you plan on using this DLC you'll need a matching connector.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
jcledfo2
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks CCKen!! I will take a look and see if I can run the wires inside from that DLC back to the plug under the hood. I am hoping that I have put together my cable right but not sure how to test it without hooking it up to the car so...........
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcledfo2 View Post
Thanks CCKen!! I will take a look and see if I can run the wires inside from that DLC back to the plug under the hood. I am hoping that I have put together my cable right but not sure how to test it without hooking it up to the car so...........
Why not check out that DLC and see if it works. You'll obviously need a connector to interface with your scanner device.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
jcledfo2
1994 XJ Cherokee 

So the DLC connector under the hood is definitely connected and the ALDL cable I have is working from what Datamaster is telling me (says cable is reading but can't pick up PCM)

Does anybody know what software I can use to actually log data???? I have searched and searched and no one explicitly states to use any certain software with this style Jeep.
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
jcledfo2
1994 XJ Cherokee 

The PCM model is 56028297. If that helps

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.