Dash Light Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dash Light Issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Eagle564
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dash Light Issue

Ok I've posted on other forums and have received very little help. Soo here I go again, My 1996 Cherokee SE keeps blowing fuse #19. I would replace it and the dash lights, 4wd shifter lights, and the heater/ac lights would all work fine but only for about a few hours to a day before it blows again. I tried upping the size of the amp to a 7.5 but it didnt make a difference. I've looked under the dash and haven't noticed any bad wiring or corrosion. Could it be the headlight switch itself? My headlights and all exterior lights work fine, and when I turn it all the way to the left the dome light comes on. There is an aftermarket stereo that I've heard can cause issues also but nothing I've noticed is bad.

Today though I replaced the fuse with a 15, after a few minutes the dash lights went out again, BUT the fuse is not blown... and everything else still works except for the cluster lights, 4wd shifter and heater/ac lights. Can anyone give me an idea of where to look to solve this issue?? What to do to fix it or maybe to try a new switch? Thanks for any help!

Eagle564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Eagle564
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone???
Eagle564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Maybe there's a bad ground that's causing it to trip out
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you are blowing fuses, you have a short circuit. Inspect the bulb sockets, wire plugs, and wires to the lights that go out when the fuse blows. Inspect the stereo install for faulty wiring. Buy a $6-18 volts/ohms multi-meter, and check continuity for the lights/circuits involved. Inspect the headlight switch assembly.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.