Dash Instrument Panel Lights Tail Marker Lights Out - checked ALL fuses and lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dash Instrument Panel Lights Tail Marker Lights Out - checked ALL fuses and lights

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
g33p
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dash Instrument Panel Lights Tail Marker Lights Out - checked ALL fuses and lights

I've checked every single fuse.
I've replaced every single light (in the back, including license plate light)
I've got the dash out laying all over my garage and I've got a new dimmer/headlight switch. However, it seems that even with the new switch I'm only getting the instrument panel / dash lights and tail or marker lights when I have the switch pulled to just a hair before the parking lights come on. There seems to be some sorta sweet spot (on both the new and old dimmer/headlight switch) where they will all work. However, they will not come on when I switch it to parking lights or full head lights.

Is it possible my harness is somehow flawed?
Is it possible that the piece that I pull on is somehow flawed? It looks fine to me?

anyone?

FYI, I did search and read every thread, but most people are wire chasing after they replace the fuses. Mine are all good. and clearly, my wiring is good. It seems to me that I either have TWO bad dimmer/switches or one wiring harness that is ultra funky.

updated info in post #7

Last edited by g33p; 11-10-2009 at 08:48 PM..
g33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
SkinnyMe97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked all your relays ?
SkinnyMe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
g33p
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I tried to remove them by hand...hmmm.
What sort of force are we talking about applying to these little cubes of plastic? I tried a set of pliers on them, but didn't want to bust one as I've got no replacements and have no other transportation. Should I be using some crazy channel locks and busting a knuckle yanking these things?
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
SkinnyMe97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

They should be tight but not overly so , a little wiggle and a constant pull should be all you need .
SkinnyMe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
vtine523
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You could check the main bundle of wires that connect right there along the steering column. I lost all my lights when that wasn't in all the way. Its long and skinny connection can't miss it.
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
g33p
2000 XJ Cherokee 

THX skinny, I'm going to give that and a few other options a try tonight.
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
g33p
2000 XJ Cherokee 

update on headlight dash light marker or tail light issue

As you can see, the marker lights / parking lights / driving lights whatever you wish to call them work. However, they only work when I pull this headlight switch knob out just a hair past the parking light position

I replaced this knob, just to make sure this wasn't it either...unfortunately...it wasn't that easy either.

This is the headlight switch or headlight dimmer
(2nd brand new one - so I know it works)

Also, per someone's suggestion in an old thread in NAXJA, I pulled the back off the hatch and checked all of those wires. They're good. Also, per another suggestion, removed the trailer wiring harness. However, using a 12v light, OR using the actual tail lights you can see in the first picture that the wiring harness is not it. oh, and per skinny's suggestion I checked the relays. I swapped the starter and the rear light relays, and both the rear lights and the starter still work, so that's out.

what's next?
Unread 11-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
98XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have a multi-meter and a haynes? In the back is wiring diagrams so use the diagrams to figure out if your switch(s) are working correctly. If everything appears to be good start jumping the wires to make it seem like you are now the headlight switch. Just be careful I think the wiring to the instrument cluster is only 5v. (It's on a separate circuit from what I can remember...fuse number 5??)
98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
tyler41

Any resolution on this? Im having the exact problem. I now am going to use LED batt powered lights for my running lights until I figure this out. I need to go Snowmobiling!! any help is appriciated.
tyler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
Shckway

H.L. S. Sweet Spot

Same problem here. Doesn't add up.
Shckway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Shckway

FIXED H.L.S. Sweet Spot - No Driving Lights

1999 Cherokee: For my circumstance it was a blown fuse: F17, a 20 amp mini, located in the center of the Power Distribution box, under the hood. The sweet spot thing happens when head light circuit contacts briefly slide by driving light circuit contacts in the headlamp switch. In a precise location, the head lights circuit is briefly applying voltage to the driving lights. Full operation of the H.L. switch, to its detent position, passes that location. The switch is working perfectly. In the sweet spot, the current passing through the driving lights is actually passing through fuses located in the head light circuit. That's where I got fooled.
Shckway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
mikerezni
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i'm having the same exact problem and its driving me nuts!!! i know i am a bit late on this thread but i've been reading up and cant seem to find any solution. g33p, did you ever find a solution?

thanks.
mikerezni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
g33p
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Removed the trailer light wiring harness I had installed and it all works again!
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #14
mikerezni
2000 XJ Cherokee 

hmmm, i dont have one of those... guess im going to have to fish for a short in the wires. A while back i thought it would be cool to get some cheap driving lights and connect them straight to the running lights, that way i didn't need to have have a separate aux switch. Little did i know those lights were drawing out way too much power and it eventually would make my lights flicker on and off. I since removed those driving lights, and the lighting has never been the same. Although i can still find that sweet spot on the switch where the driving and tail lights do turn on. Again, no fuses are blown and all relays work fine. That's all i've got for now. (i've also purchased two new headlight switches and pulled one off an xj from the junkyard, but still nothing). any help would be amazing from anyone!

glad to hear you got yours working again!
mikerezni is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.