Dana 44 Disc Brake Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dana 44 Disc Brake Conversion

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
crf450ish
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Dana 44 Disc Brake Conversion

Out of the 87' XJ Dana 44 what options are there as far as a 100% COMPLETE conversion? No junkyard runs for this or that....I want something that includes everything, the new master cyclinder needed for 4 wheel disc brakes etc. Who makes something like this?

Unread 12-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Why do you want rear disk brakes?
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I did the swap with ford expl parts and never changed the booster or prop. valve and it stops fine ? been almost 3 years ?

The teraflex kit is complete w/out the booster or prop. vale though .If they still make it ?

Bri

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
98jeepxjlimited
1998 XJ Cherokee 

all the valve does is lets a predetermined PSI of brake pressure build in the rear brakes before engaging the fronts. this is because with drum brakes its needed to keep a good front-rear bias in an emergency stop situation...most likely if you wailed out on your brakes with the 4 disc setup the rears might lock before fronts.
98jeepxjlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

There are tons of kits out there: SSBC, Currie, Teraflex, Ford 8.8 or Ford 9" (Ford kits will work with minimal effort). You can get the parts at a junkyard for $150 or less, replacing the calipers will cost another $100 for a total of $250. A new kit will cost you $500 to $1000.

Edit: a master cylinder will cost extra.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
crf450ish
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Dang, well I was under the impression that there was a specific kit out there that took care of the Dana 44 rear disc conversion straight up. The reason why I am slamming bone yards is cause they suck around here....Tacoma, WA, Lakewood, WA.
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

You still never said why you want rear disc brakes. I put rear disc brakes on my CJ7 Dana 44 and then decided not to put the setup on my XJ Dana 44 since there is not much advantage to doing it. I have an XJ Dana 44 brake setup that is for converting to 5 on 5.5" wheel pattern. I would not recommend swapping to rear discs unless you just want the self cleaning aspect of it. There is really no other advantage to them and you have to deal with changing the residual valve in the rear line from 10# to 2#.

So once more, why do you want rear disc brakes?
Unread 12-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most people report good results with an XJ rear disk swap. They report increased braking ability with a ZJ proportioning valve installed. The self cleaning and self adjusting benefits are definitely worth the the effort.

The parts list is very short, so a "kit" really provides no benefit. You just need the caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, some new soft lines to the calipers, some parking brake cables from an Explorer with disks, and maybe a ZJ proportioning valve (if needed). Buy all the stuff at the junkyard and take the used parts in to return as cores when you get new calipers and rotors and soft lines.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

There is no increased braking ability with disc brakes. This is coming from someone who has done it.
Unread 12-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
EdgarS
1999 XJ Cherokee 

^ I'm 100% sure that you say that because your drums were working like they are supposed to; but for most of us the drums doesn't work like they should (me included) and the disc brake actually improve or better said take back the lost braking power from the POS drums.

For the drums to fuction correctly you need to have drums, brake pads, lots of metal springs and adjuster that are thing that are prone to damanging and at least in my case the avalible reeplacements are a POS (i'm from Venezuela)
Unread 12-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
XJohnnyC

I put rear discs on my D44 because:

1. Drum brakes are so antiquated. They look like something that should be on a Model A.

2. Ease of maintenance. Although a well-maintained drum brake system will brake very well, it can be difficult for the average Joe to get it set up just right.

There are so many little pieces that comprise a drum brake system. I know that I have trouble being confident that I have everything installed properly. Plus, have you ever shot one of those springs across the garage?

Changing the pads on a disc system is much easier and quicker than replacing the shoes on a drum brake system. Discs are simpler and easier to maintain. There are far fewer moving pieces involved.

Braking performance may or may not have improved. I honestly can't sure with certainty. But purely for the reason of maintenance, disc brakes win hands down.

I've twice seen the internals of a rear drum on a Dana 44 implode. Last year on the Rubicon Trail, one of my friends had a catastrophic failure. The brakes shoes and lever were bent beyond repair. He had to crimp off the brake line and continue with no rear brakes. He got replacement parts once we reached Tahoe. We still don't know the cause.

Then my buddy had a rear wheel stud back out slightly on his alloy shaft. The quarter inch that the stud was sticking out completely wiped out the entire shoe/spring assembly. Sure that one was avoidable with proper maintenance. But he didn't even know that was a possibility, so how can you take steps to prevent it?

I currently have Explorer rear disc brakes on my D44 and they work very well, even with the MJ's stock "distribution block". I have a ZJ 4-disc prop valve to install in place of the distribution block...whenever I get a chance.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
rficken42
1998 TJ Wrangler 

has anyone used disc brakes of a zj/wj dana 44a on a xj dana 44 that had drums?
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

When done properly, Drum brakes can have more stopping power that disc's but have a problem with brake fade because they are enclosed inside the drum and cant dissipate the heat as well. Theres more surface area between pads and drum than pad and rotor. Thats why Semi's use drums over disc's, I know because i work building semi axles.

Personally i find it easier and cheaper to swap in a ford 8.8 that already has disc brakes because they are everywhere in junkyards.

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
rficken42
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yea well i already have a dana 44.

has anyone used disc brakes of a zj/wj dana 44a on a xj dana 44 that had drums?
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rficken42 View Post
....has anyone used disc brakes of a ZJ/WJ dana 44a on a XJ dana 44 ?
ZJ D35 and ZJ D44 disk brakes are the same parts. WJ rotors have a different bolt hole pattern.

ZJ, Ford Crown Vic, and Ford 8.8 are some of the more common parts donors for XJ rear disk conversions.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.