Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

dana 40 rear? dana 35 front?

18K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  89eliminator 
#1 ·
there is this 94 yj i am looking at buying and i asked him what rear it had and he said it has a dana 40. so i just thought he meant 44 but accidentally said 40 so i said did you mean dana 44 and he was like no the rear is a dana 40 and the front is a dana 35:confused: please help me. the reason i am posting in the cherokee section is because he said they are form an 89 cherokee so i thought you xj guys would be the best guys to ask. im pretty sure there is no such thing as a dana 40 rear or a dana 35 front. but prove me wrong please. i also have the e mails if you want to see for yourselves.

#6 ·
The front is a Dana 30. The only Dana 35 is made for the rear. The other he said he probably meant Dana 44. They were offered in some 87-89 Cherokees.

After that, it's Dana 60's and Dana 70's. Which is a lot of work to fit in a Jeep.

#7 ·
if everything he has listed as being done is infact correct it sounds like a good deal. However the fact they have a modified jeep and somehow think they have a dana 35 front and dana 40 (?) rear means they are either a dumb### or sketchy...

#10 ·
Rear Dana 44's weren't an option for that year of XJ, so it would have to be swapped by the owner. Due to this I'm guessing he meant Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear but got confused creating the ad.

If he had installed a rear D44, he wouldn't have got the model number wrong in the ad.

#15 ·
axles available on the cherokee have only ever been, front: Dana30 and rear: Dana35, Dana44, Chrysler8.25

the dana 35 front was a twin traction beam axle (ford's first attempt at an independent front suspension)

the dana 40 does not exist as far as i know

your best bet is to look at the diffs and identify them your self, here are the axles used in cherokees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.