Dana 35 Ected Max Manual Locker - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dana 35 Ected Max Manual Locker

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
The Ected MAX sounds like the "almost best traction enhanced diff for street and almost best traction enhanced diff for extreme off road" or "almost best of both worlds"......an adjustable LSD kinda sounds cool We like our auto locker a lot......spool like equal torque to both wheels when differential is not need and automatic differential in a turn. When the opposite wheels rpm equals, it locks. Cheap and easy 2 hour install r hard to beat as well. Is it perfect?......no, it occasionally clunks in reverse when the front wheels r turned to lock.

A spool is miserable on the street/unbeatable off road. A open diff is just about worthless most of the time.......and that's basically what u get with a selectable (a spool or open diff, no in between) but obviously they have their place, just as other lockers and LSDs do as well..
I agree on the Open diff.Not good for off road!
A bout a yr ago I had the Cherokee up on the jacks doing a rear brake drum overhaul To find out that my stock Jeep had a open diff. Weird when you spin the back tires they go in opposite directon.
Now after the Auburn Ected Max install the Tires do not spin in a opposite directon when I have them diss-engaged. Does that mean I still have a open diff? Very confused
The Book says I have a full time LSD with the extra traction when engaged.
Are they telling more fibbs?
All I know is the wheels grip like crazy locked or unlocked lol

94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
I agree on the Open diff.Not good for off road!
A bout a yr ago I had the Cherokee up on the jacks doing a rear brake drum overhaul To find out that my stock Jeep had a open diff. Weird when you spin the back tires they go in opposite directon.
this is normal for every open diff vehicle (~95% of all passenger cars/SUVs). I owned a few M3s with LSDs. They work great on the tarmac/racetrack but are not as useful off road where a wheel can lock up or lift in the air.

Quote:
Now after the Auburn Ected Max install the Tires do not spin in a opposite directon when I have them diss-engaged. Does that mean I still have a open diff? Very confused
it does not disengage. It is a LSD all the time. This means both tires spin together under light/zero load. But under heavy load (locked wheel on the rocks) it acts like an open diff; spinning both wheels at different speeds (or only one wheel at all).
Quote:
The Book says I have a full time LSD with the extra traction when engaged.
Are they telling more fibbs?
All I know is the wheels grip like crazy locked or unlocked lol
all LSDs are "full time". They cannot be disengaged. When you flip the switch on the ECTED the clutch pack gets tighter make it "harder" to slip and loose traction. Make no mistake, it never locks up.

Look up the famous google search phrase "locker vs LSD" and do some research.
Clutch Based Limited Slip Differentials
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
all LSDs are "full time". They cannot be disengaged. When you flip the switch on the ECTED the clutch pack gets tighter make it "harder" to slip and loose traction. Make no mistake, it never locks up.

Look up the famous google search phrase "locker vs LSD" and do some research.
Clutch Based Limited Slip Differentials
Thanks.

I will never rock climb or do any hard core off roading in this XJ.
So this kind of app suits me fine.I also put brand new axles in the rear to have a fresh start with the new diff.
I now know I will have to change the diff oil a lot, if indeed the "Clutches" are known to wear quickly.

Good advise
Unread 11-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just for future reference to all who are inquiring about a ECTED and reading this thread.

ECTED clutch pack exploded view

ARB selectable locker exploded view

Standard LSD clutch pack exploded view

Detroit non select automatic locker exploded view

And for no reason at all here is a high performance twin plate clutch (for transmission engagement).

I'm bored at my father in laws house
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #20
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
But I still do not think you are fully understanding how my diff is working.
When it is locked in "trac" or what ever mode you call it, I can just roll out of gear in neutral around a paved curve at 2 mph and the tires are screeching barking like my old 82 toyota use to when the front hubs were locked in lol.
Now When diss-engaged its like a "open" rear end to me. No tire sound at all. A very smooth ride and it turns like a car.
I fully understand how your rear axle works. In the "locked" position it will certainly bark the rears since the clutch packs are pressed together. In other words it's somewhat locked -> barking tires.

When it's in the LSD mode, it still is a LSD differential like was mentioned. LSDs are always engaged, they have preload for a reason and will also bark the tires a little when you apply gas. Most LSDs are about 25% locking, but that amount changes depending on road conditions, tires, etc... Some higher performance vehicles have factory LSDs that are 50% locking, but no matter how much a clutch- based LSD "locks", they never truly lock, nor are they never open unless badly worn.

Detroit truetrac (torsen- type gear driven LSD) also never locks up, but torsen- type LSD can ALWAYS apply the predefined amount of torque to the wheel with more grip as long as the other side has some grip available. That's why you can easily cheat a torsen-type diff by applying brakes - even with a tire up in the air you can keep on going. Under normal use, torsen- type LSDs don't really wear out.

Clutch- based diffs can be cheated the same way as torsen- type (apply brakes/ e-brake), but it will kill the clutch packs really quickly so I wouldn't really recommend it. Same happens if you've got one tire wedged between rocks and the other up in the air - apply gas and say bye-bye to the clutches Ected works fine for road use and light to medium off-road, but for that kind of use I'd certainly choose Truetrac over the Ected. I myself would've gone with a truetrac in the back on my daily driver ZJ, but virtually no lockers are available for the D44a... so I had to make do with the stock LSD

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
I fully understand how your rear axle works. In the "locked" position it will certainly bark the rears since the clutch packs are pressed together. In other words it's somewhat locked -> barking tires.

When it's in the LSD mode, it still is a LSD differential like was mentioned. LSDs are always engaged, they have preload for a reason and will also bark the tires a little when you apply gas. Most LSDs are about 25% locking, but that amount changes depending on road conditions, tires, etc... Some higher performance vehicles have factory LSDs that are 50% locking, but no matter how much a clutch- based LSD "locks", they never truly lock, nor are they never open unless badly worn.

Detroit truetrac (torsen- type gear driven LSD) also never locks up, but torsen- type LSD can ALWAYS apply the predefined amount of torque to the wheel with more grip as long as the other side has some grip available. That's why you can easily cheat a torsen-type diff by applying brakes - even with a tire up in the air you can keep on going. Under normal use, torsen- type LSDs don't really wear out.

Clutch- based diffs can be cheated the same way as torsen- type (apply brakes/ e-brake), but it will kill the clutch packs really quickly so I wouldn't really recommend it. Same happens if you've got one tire wedged between rocks and the other up in the air - apply gas and say bye-bye to the clutches Ected works fine for road use and light to medium off-road, but for that kind of use I'd certainly choose Truetrac over the Ected. I myself would've gone with a truetrac in the back on my daily driver ZJ, but virtually no lockers are available for the D44a... so I had to make do with the stock LSD
I have to say you guys have answered all of my questions on this topic!

I will say when the time comes to rebuild the front diff, I will go with a Mechanical Differential for sure. Auburn even says in their manuel the Ected Max is not recomended for the front diff in many apps.

Thanks!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.