Dana 35 Ected Max Manual Locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dana 35 Ected Max Manual Locker

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Dana 35 Ected Max Manual Locker

I have had this Locker in my 94 xj for 6 months.
The only complaint I have is sometimes the Locker gets stuck in posi

I found that backing up after hitting the switch is the best way to unlock it.
If this does not work, I drive a few miles at a good speed 20-40 mph then find a place to reverse. It Has done the trick for me. I did take off the diff cover off after around a 1000 miles and replace the Lucas fluid and LSD additive.
The reason I used the XJ's stock rear Dana 35 vs a 44 or higher diff was because all this jeep is used for is Sand, Snow and Mud.

I wanted to ask if anyone else has tried this type of set up?

I have 31 inch tires on a 3 inch Rusty's spring lift. The Locker does great in the rear. I often thought of getting a Ected Max for the front diff, but thats where I start hearing others complain a lot.

94beachxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got one of these new in box off Craigslist for my d30 last year. Seller had it listed as a e-locker. I think I paid 300$. I saw the price and drove 100 miles to San Diego to get it. Didn't even research it, just the price. Well I jumped the gun and after reading how it is not in fact a locker but a LSD that just tightens up when you flip the switch...i listed it for 450$ and sold it fast lol...

Electronic Controlled Traction Enhancing Diff does not make it a locker. It's a Limited Slip no matter how ya look at it.

Now while I haven't had one installed, my research led me to many unhappy customers who feel they were duped. Or others who researched but are not satisfied with the functions and the amount of "lock" the diff gave...lifetime replacement is great...until you have to pay the labor to pull it and send it back (many bad stories) :-/

Sorry I can't offer more help, those ARE pretty damn expensive new so it may be a while until you find another Cherokee driver with one installed here.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
In fact a locker but a LSD that just tightens up when you flip the switch...i listed it for 450$ and sold it fast lol...

Electronic Controlled Traction Enhancing Diff does not make it a locker. It's a Limited Slip no matter how ya look at it.

Now while I haven't had one installed, my research led me to many unhappy customers who feel they were duped. Or others who researched but are not satisfied with the functions and the amount of "lock" the diff gave...lifetime replacement is great...until you have to pay the labor to pull it and send it back (many bad stories) :-/

Sorry I can't offer more help, those ARE pretty damn expensive new so it may be a while until you find another Cherokee driver with one installed here.

I installed mine with help si yours is not like the Ected Max I have, for sure!
The intstalation was painfull, but sorry there is no question I have a LOCKER as well as a LSD.

I drove the Jeep locked in on pavement and it barked like a Drag racer.....
The Ected Max is a posi when engaged there is no way you can prove that incorrect..
So what I have clutches? Does that take away from the performance?
Unless the 2 back wheels moving together is not "true posi"
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I got one
Now while I haven't had one installed, .
This is why asked for those that had one
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I guess next time I ask, I should be more specific on those that really used one?
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
, but sorry there is no question I have a LOCKER as well as a LSD.
Sorry, wrong. It's a clutch pack and it can slip. I heard many 35" tire + guys have bad things to say so I decided against it and to go with a ARB/Eaton if I really want to drop 800$+. No full spool no locker.

Reviews
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ec...2/#post4233296

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...8-c6f9d7f93179

Quote:
...The ECTED Max is a selectable traction device; an on/off switch is mounted near the driver. ...
not even auburn calls it a selectable "locker". They know better now.
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sorry, wrong. It's a clutch pack and it can slip. I heard many 35" tire + guys have bad things to say so I decided against it and to go with a ARB/Eaton if I really want to drop 800$+. No full spool no locker.

Reviews
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ec...2/#post4233296

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...8-c6f9d7f93179

I still use it as a locker. Both wheels spin together when I need them to. If you want to call it a LSD I understand. I just do not know of many LSD diffs that bark like mine when engaged.

I agree the Ected will not pull huge tires this is true. But I only want to run 31 inch Tires on this XJ.
Now on the other hand my YJ has a dana 44 diff so the 33 inch BFG's do very well with that app. But you are correct on the tire size limitations.
Unread 11-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
2 things that make me think I should not listen to your advise on this.

1 You never installed or used this product,just "hearsay"? Correct?
2 In my Auburn owners manuel it states this " In the product configurations offered, ECTED Max is the only selectable locker that offers both limited slip and locker modes. For get the rest - go for the best "

I love to hear opinions from everyone here. Some I just let in one and out the other
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not hearsay, research. See i DONT have one installed and i know more then you do about it.

Notice how I put "they know better now" in there bud. That's because they had to change their misleading packaging. They don't say that anymore. Your packaging flat out lies.

Auburn will tell you all day long about how things slip into place and locks this in here and magnet pushes this there and then some rod pokes you in the butt and BAM its locked....But if you slow down and read closely you will see where they end with something along the lines of "compressing the clutch pack...(and)...giving full spool performance". See there is the key that saves their ***. Full spool "performance". Not actually a locked full spool.

Again. No full spool NO LOCKER. It's a LSD until you flip the switch and make it a stronger LSD.

Look, why don't you learn some simple mechanical knowledge about LSDs, clutch packs, selectable lockers and full spools then come back and apologize.

I say
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not hearsay, research. See i DONT have one installed and i know more then you do about it.

Notice how I put "they know better now" in there bud. That's because they had to change their misleading packaging. They don't say that anymore. Your packaging flat out lies.

Auburn will tell you all day long about how things slip into place and locks this in here and magnet pushes this there and then some rod pokes you in the butt and BAM its locked....But if you slow down and read closely you will see where they end with something along the lines of "compressing the clutch pack...(and)...giving full spool performance". See there is the key that saves their ***. Full spool "performance". Not actually a locked full spool.

Again. No full spool NO LOCKER. It's a LSD until you flip the switch and make it a stronger LSD.

Look, why don't you learn some simple mechanical knowledge about LSDs, clutch packs, selectable lockers and full spools then come back and apologize.

I say
No I think I will leave this topic. ALONE!

Its obvious I struck a nerve with this Auburn co. in here and all.

I think its time to just LET IT GO! You keep preaching and I will let it go!

Peace.

BTW....Maybe one day I can come back to thread and Tell you that my Diff blew up and you will be happy? Or maybe I install a Eaton or Detroit Locker ?

Look man I am sorry you got angry with my app on the Jeep and my comments.
But I know how it works. I put it in and I have never had a issue getting stuck ANY WHERE!

If you want me to say you are correct and I am not telling the truth?

Ok but just don't be so angry man, This is for fun on the side for crying out loud we all love Jeeps..
Unread 11-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
But I know how it works. I put it in and I have never had a issue getting stuck ANY WHERE!

Auburn Ected is not a true locker. It certainly is a posi- traction device, but it does not give 100% locking in all circumstances, and since it is clutch- based it wears out just like normal clutch- based LSDs do.

Ected is essentially a variable- rate limited slip differenctial, where when in "locked" mode it compresses the clutch packs together hard enough to simulate a 100% locker. In extreme situations it WILL slip, just like any clutch will. Ask the high- power race guys, or people running big tires on manual tranny how often they get clutch slippage in high power/ high torque situations Only a sinthered metallic clutch will work under extreme stress, and as far as I know Auburn isn't using that type of technology on their "locker".

Locker is a device that mechanically locks both axle shafts together, not a clutch- based thingy.

As for the ected not releasing correctly, dunno. I've heard a bunch of people having problems with them, and also having problems with the cluches wearing out fairly quickly. I would never put that kind of money on an LSD, when you can get a true selectable locker at the same price. ..or a gear-driven LSD (detroit truetrac) that works as well as the Ected when aided with left-foot braking when traction is really limited

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Auburn Ected is not a true locker. It certainly is a posi- traction device, but it does not give 100% locking in all circumstances, and since it is clutch- based it wears out just like normal clutch- based LSDs do.

Ected is essentially a variable- rate limited slip differenctial, where when in "locked" mode it compresses the clutch packs together hard enough to simulate a 100% locker. In extreme situations it WILL slip, just like any clutch will. Ask the high- power race guys, or people running big tires on manual tranny how often they get clutch slippage in high power/ high torque situations Only a sinthered metallic clutch will work under extreme stress, and as far as I know Auburn isn't using that type of technology on their "locker".

Locker is a device that mechanically locks both axle shafts together, not a clutch- based thingy.

As for the ected not releasing correctly, dunno. I've heard a bunch of people having problems with them, and also having problems with the cluches wearing out fairly quickly. I would never put that kind of money on an LSD, when you can get a true selectable locker at the same price. ..or a gear-driven LSD (detroit truetrac) that works as well as the Ected when aided with left-foot braking when traction is really limited
Thanks for the imput.
I'm very thankful I have this Auburn "LSD" and I guess its time to stop telling others I have a locker I understand what you all are getting at as far as the performance I will get out of this type of Diff.
I guess you all did not understand that I do not use this Jeep in extream off roading. If I was going to rebuild the Diff in this 94 cherokee to do that,I would of upgraded everything. Instead we rebuilt it as cheap as we could. The new axles we used were just stock. I would of never done that if I used the systems you guys suggested.And I agree the air lockers are so much better But again I must of been duped on the title/name of the 'Ected Max'.
Even the Guys on Truck U called it a "Locker" I know I know Auburn was a sponser
Live and learn

On the thing about the LSD getting stuck in trac mode.......I did further research and learned 2 major things...............The book said to engage the "LSD"? what ever ya call it before you get to target area of difficulty. Then to dissengage, you need to use a spot where TRACTION is at a max. If the "LSD" is still engaged they said to slowly do left to right turns.
It worked for me.

My question is what is causing the tires to chirp when I am in "LSD" mode?
Should a 'LSD' bark my tires so loud?
I thought LSD is great for the road?
Oh well the bottom line is after I take it out of that position mode, my Jeep has the most quiet ride and handle. Thats what I needed and wanted. The original diff had over 230k miles on it.

Peace
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
A properly working clutch- type limited slip diff will slightly bark the tires if you apply some gas. The amount depends on the tightness (preload) of the lsd, type of gear oil used and whether or not lsd friction modifier is added to fluid. I highly recommend adding the friction modifier, it makes lsd work smoother and it will prevent premature lsd clutch pack wear.

I just regeared and rebuilt the d44a on my ZJ with new spicer clutch packs, on dry surface on rwd it will bark the tires. I'm sure the ected does it as well. As for the Ected, I'm not saying it's crap - it has it's use on a mildly used off-road vehicle. But it's IMHO overpriced and you can get a torsen- type lsd at much lower price with similar or better performance without the problem of clutches wearing out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
A properly working clutch- type limited slip diff will slightly bark the tires if you apply some gas. The amount depends on the tightness (preload) of the lsd, type of gear oil used and whether or not lsd friction modifier is added to fluid. I highly recommend adding the friction modifier, it makes lsd work smoother and it will prevent premature lsd clutch pack wear.

I just regeared and rebuilt the d44a on my ZJ with new spicer clutch packs, on dry surface on rwd it will bark the tires. I'm sure the ected does it as well. As for the Ected, I'm not saying it's crap - it has it's use on a mildly used off-road vehicle. But it's IMHO overpriced and you can get a torsen- type lsd at much lower price with similar or better performance without the problem of clutches wearing out.

Thanks
But I still do not think you are fully understanding how my diff is working.
When it is locked in "trac" or what ever mode you call it, I can just roll out of gear in neutral around a paved curve at 2 mph and the tires are screeching barking like my old 82 toyota use to when the front hubs were locked in lol.
Now When diss-engaged its like a "open" rear end to me. No tire sound at all. A very smooth ride and it turns like a car.
I only use Lucas and limited slip additive in the dff.
Should I change it again? I did change it out after the 1st 600 miles of use after we installed the unit.
Let me know.
Thanks.
Unread 11-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The Ected MAX sounds like the "almost best traction enhanced diff for street and almost best traction enhanced diff for extreme off road" or "almost best of both worlds"......an adjustable LSD kinda sounds cool We like our auto locker a lot......spool like equal torque to both wheels when differential is not need and automatic differential in a turn. When the opposite wheels rpm equals, it locks. Cheap and easy 2 hour install r hard to beat as well. Is it perfect?......no, it occasionally clunks in reverse when the front wheels r turned to lock.

A spool is miserable on the street/unbeatable off road. A open diff is just about worthless most of the time.......and that's basically what u get with a selectable (a spool or open diff, no in between) but obviously they have their place, just as other lockers and LSDs do as well..
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.