Dana 35 ABS replaced with Non-ABS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dana 35 ABS replaced with Non-ABS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Dana 35 ABS replaced with Non-ABS

1997 Cherokee with the Dana 35... Getting the grinding/noisy situation whenever accelerating, nothing when letting off on the gas.. Long story short, I got a 1996 Dana 35 form a cherokee and was going to swap it in but just noticed it has NO ABS!!! What can be done with it, what should I do? I can swap the axles easily but have no expertise doing the bad pinion bearing that seems to be making the noise..

Can I just disconnect the ABS system? The light will go on then and I don't want that.. ..

Unread 06-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You can pull the ABS relays in the engine bay to make the ABS light go away.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can install the ABS on your "new" axle or, as noted above, just disconnect it.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

As already said you can swap the ABS onto the replacement axle but it will mean swapping the axle shafts over as the tone rings are fixed to these and I don't know if the non-ABS brake back plates will have all the holes needed for the sensors so it might be necessary to swap the back plates while the shafts are out.

Are you sure your new axle is the same gear ratio before you go to all this trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

The older axle without abs does not have the tone rings or the holes in the backer plates... looks like ABS kill time...
Unread 06-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drespecki View Post
The older axle without abs does not have the tone rings or the holes in the backer plates... looks like ABS kill time...
WHY? It isn't a huge job to swap the ABS bits from your existing axle into the replacement one. Are you sure you can dissable the ABS and still pass inspection? Here in the UK if the components are present then they must function so the abs pump and sensors must be removed to get a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.