Dana 30 high pinion vs low pinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Dana 30 high pinion vs low pinion

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 04-04-2006, 02:00 AM   #1
00xj54
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dana 30 high pinion vs low pinion

Well the 00-01 have low pinion D30 in the front. What does that mean? and is better then the high pinion?

[B]|15" Canyon Crawlers | 30x9.5 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos | [Lifted (2" Teraflex Spacers | 2.5" RE AAL | Edlebrocks IAS)| K&N Homebrew Intake | Flow Master 70 |Clear Corners/Side Markers| Class III Hidden Hitch | C4x4 Fronts Tow Hooks | JKS Discos | Surco Safari Rack | Hella 500s |
00xj54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 03:56 AM   #2
LankyXJ
Mumbling Jeeper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I know, rather I think, for the most part it just refers to the fact that the high pinion differential housing actually sits higher on the axle than the low pinion. So in essence, you have slightly more clearance in the high rather than low pinion. I'm pretty sure the spline count, ring gear, and shaft diameters are the same. The U-Joints may be different based upon year.

My Hardly Ever Updated Cardomain Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubs97xj View Post
So, did you punch yourself in the face with a wrench hard enough to nearly knock yourself out? That's the best.
LankyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:18 AM   #3
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

High pinion, the drive shaft comes in on the top half of the differential, giving better clearance.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:29 AM   #4
LankyXJ
Mumbling Jeeper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia
High pinion, the drive shaft comes in on the top half of the differential, giving better clearance.
So the differential housing is still in the same place then on the axle?

My Hardly Ever Updated Cardomain Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubs97xj View Post
So, did you punch yourself in the face with a wrench hard enough to nearly knock yourself out? That's the best.
LankyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
FrankZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The HP is a stronger axle, and yes they are both a drivers side drop.
Unread 04-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJer1302
So the differential housing is still in the same place then on the axle?
Yes, exactly.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
toledotimber

The high-pinion version also has reverse-cut gears which are slightly stronger.
toledotimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2006, 12:12 AM   #8
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xj54
Well the 00-01 have low pinion D30 in the front. What does that mean? and is better then the high pinion?
The low-pinion has the pinion below the centerline of the axle. The high-pinion is above the centerline.

High-pinion is preferable for several reasons.

First is driveshaft clearance. With a HP axle, the driveshaft is a good 2 or 3 inches higher up than the LP. That could very well be the determining factor on whether or not your driveshaft survives a rock.

Second is driveshaft angle. A higher pinion gives you a much better driveshaft angle and this means less chance of vibration on a lifted XJ.

Third is strength. The ring and pinion on a HP axle is slightly stronger than on the LP.

That being said, lots of people use the LP Dana 30 without problems. Its the same axle used in the TJs. If you are going to lift it above 5" I think it would be a very good idea to look for a HP, or if you ever just have a good opportunity to get one. Make sure you have at least some lift however or the driveshaft might make contact with your exhaust.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #9
cj7xjmj

Like Eric said the only real difference is in where the pinion is in relation to the centerline of the axle. As for which is stronger HP or LP diffs... this debate will rage for yrs. The ring gear is the only thing that is not interchangeable between the 2. Carriers, axle shafts, knuckles are all the same. Install kits are different as well
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeap I've had a 2000 (lp d30) lifted with a Rustys 4.5" and I got vibes up front when in 4wd because of the pinion angle.

I now have a '99 (HP d30) and RE 4.5" and no vibes at all ever.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7xjmj
Like Eric said the only real difference is in where the pinion is in relation to the centerline of the axle. As for which is stronger HP or LP diffs... this debate will rage for yrs. The ring gear is the only thing that is not interchangeable between the 2. Carriers, axle shafts, knuckles are all the same. Install kits are different as well
There is ZERO debate on strength. HP axle in a front axle application IS stronger, by how much? Thats the debate some say 10% some say 30%. Just like a HP axle in the rear is weaker because of which side of the gears are being run (coast side or drive side)

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.