Daily Driver XJ, and a front locker(lock-right) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Daily Driver XJ, and a front locker(lock-right)

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Daily Driver XJ, and a front locker(lock-right)

first off i KNOW you can not run a full locker or spool in a non disco front diff, and i understand why (im a journeymen auto tech). and i know your not saposta run a ratchet style locker in the front in a daily driver as well. but i ask who has actually run a ratchet style locker in the front. what was the long term out come (worn splines on the axle/locker). the detriot true-trac isnt quite what im looking for(cost and performance wise) ive read a few guys on NAXJA have run a lock-right in the front in there daily, but didnt mention of any lock term side affects. i never use my 4x4 on dry pavement, only icy,snowy,slushy roads or when i wheel. i have stock gears(3.54) and dont plan on going bigger then my 31s or re gearing

XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a lunchbox/auto locker in the front with a non disco unit. The locker only works when power is applied to the front axle as in when the jeep is in 4wd. There are no ill affects in running one up front.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thank you!, but why to they call it a lunch box
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Not really sure I can answer that, but it just replaces the spider gears instead of the complete carrier. They can be installed in your driveway without any special tools.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Not really sure I can answer that, but it just replaces the spider gears instead of the complete carrier. They can be installed in your driveway without any special tools.
yeah i know how they work and install. i however am blessed with a 8 bay auto repair shop at my disposal, so no drive way installs for me.
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Is it a problem to use a locker in the rear axle of a daily driver?
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

how the hell am i ever gonna get my hotrod back on the road if i keep dumping money in my jeep. i plan to finish my car this summer, but its hard when there so much i want to buy for my jeep. ahhhhh two project vehicles! i think im sold on the aussie VS the lock right
Unread 03-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
No lots of people do it, esp. with you living in florida where you will not be driving in snow and ice. The only drawback will be some popping and clicking when making turns while accelerating.
Unread 03-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No lots of people do it, esp. with you living in florida where you will not be driving in snow and ice. The only drawback will be some popping and clicking when making turns while accelerating.

Thanks for the advice. Lockers is comming up close on my list of things to get. I keep buying parts but have not put any of them in. I'm just wait to get a good build thread going
Unread 03-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can search for the front vs rear locker arguments and decide for yourself where to install one.

A locker in the rear axle behaves on pavement in a similar manner to the Trac-Loc Limited Slip that has been a factory option in Jeep for 40+ years. I have had a rear locker in my 2000 for years, and it replaced the original Limited Slip. My front axle locker does nothing in 2wd, in 4wd and MN snow, it does make the front tires push straight a little bit in turns.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
You can search for the front vs rear locker arguments and decide for yourself where to install one.

A locker in the rear axle behaves on pavement in a similar manner to the Trac-Loc Limited Slip that has been a factory option in Jeep for 40+ years. I have had a rear locker in my 2000 for years, and it replaced the original Limited Slip. My front axle locker does nothing in 2wd, in 4wd and MN snow, it does make the front tires push straight a little bit in turns.
I think locking both sounds like the way to go.
Unread 03-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
thank you!, but why to they call it a lunch box
Because it packs inside of your existing carrier.

Quote:
Not at all as long as you drive appropriately. You learn to power on heavy then coast through turns. I have the Aussie and I've found that even under idle and light power, the locker is still able to unlock so parking lots and other low-speed/tight turn scenarios aren't a problem.

Quote:
Typically the people that say lockers are iffy on snow and ice either don't have a locker or have never driven with one on snow and ice and are just repeating what they've read here on the interwebs. My area had more snow this year than in the last 20 years or so. I drove quite a bit for work and fun and I can say that unless you're driving like an idiot, you won't have any problems. Also, unless you're driving like an idiot, the extra traction helps a lot. If you listen closely, you can hear the ratcheting sound during turns when the locker is unlocked. If you're hearing popping and clicking, ease up on the throttle Dale Earnhardt.

Quote:
I think locking both sounds like the way to go.
I don't have a front locker but the only downside I can see to this setup is heavier steering when offroad. If you and your steering gear box can handle that, I say go for it! Look below for what front and rear locker (along with a little armor and a tiny lift) can do.
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
brian0128
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Damn, I wouldn't have even attempted that hill!
brian0128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Crazy video man !

Thats an awesome cj too !!!
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I live in the mountains where a lot of turns are out of steep driveways, or from a steep road onto another road. It is very hard to turn out without using the accelerator and you will get some clicking and popping in this situation. I don't drive like an idiot, or think I am dale earnheardt. It is just a side affect of having a rear locker and making uphill turns. I didn't mean to imply it was a loud banging or anything, just a normal affect of having a rear locker. And when the roads are icy in those same situations both rear tires will spin and the vehicle will want to slide toward the downhill side. I have had several jeeps with auto and selectable lockers in the front and rear so I am not repeating what I heard some 18 year old say on the internet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.