daily driver cherokee build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > daily driver cherokee build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 07-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #46
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Rytari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #47
getitdone32
1990 XJ Cherokee 

great build friend keep it coming. I'll be watching.
getitdone32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #48
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i did change new valve springs but that didnt help at all.. i think ill have to find those mopar performance springs.

-22 celcius and still i managed to break ice on the same place that can be seen above video, and heres the result, some s**h everywhere and one burnt cooling fan motor.

after some cleaning work i started to change my ps pump for new one, old one didnt make enought pressure anymore.

i read threads about some better ones and deside to buy wj:s pump.

it required some modification to pump brakets and providing 5 m10 threads to pump itself.

steering is now maybe little stiffer than before, but more power, and for some reason, more acurate, i dont have to steer all the time when driving on hwy.

that powertrax no slip that i had in rear got retired.. its been more no work than no slip last year or so. i bought new detroit locker from... rockauto, that was cheapest place for me to get it, i didnt even before realise that they are selling those.
Unread 02-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #49
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Great build I like it a lot. What filter did you use for the cowl intake? Did you cut the metal out above the cowl or do you just let it suck in fresh air from the driver side area?
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #50
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

nope, i just leave cowl like it is, it will get enough air like that and all that snow and water wont go in.

filter is some enclosed performance-tuning-ricer-freeflow-cone-thingy that i just found from some local shop, it has 3" holes in both ends and similar like some k&n cones but wont require oiling the filter element.
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #51
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rytari View Post
nope, i just leave cowl like it is, it will get enough air like that and all that snow and water wont go in.

filter is some enclosed performance-tuning-ricer-freeflow-cone-thingy that i just found from some local shop, it has 3" holes in both ends and similar like some k&n cones but wont require oiling the filter element.
Thank you for the info bud, keep up the good work.
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #52
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

lately i have been doing some gm stuff, i trade one zj that i had for a while to a 86 el camino so that and couple other projects been taking my time and xj been just like it supposed to be, daily driver, and because we have more than 20 inches of snow here so... ... doing its job well.

but... there is always one of those...but(t)... mpg got rather bad, more noise coming under the hood than from rear of the car and some smell of exhaust fumes got inside so i had to do something.

first i thought that i have leaking gasket between head and header but i didnt get it that easy, again i have a cracked header, or would i say, some monday production... that are not so common but i always manage to find those.

it seems that all around collectors, 2 smaller upper ones and bigger main ones welding beams looks mostly like this, i woudl say it not any tension/heat cracking, more likely i think its some kind of side imperfections or one side beads that i got here

here is some cracking, but also it might come from that awful looking weld that is on top of it.
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #53
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome man get some pictures of the Camino! My father has two and I have Dodge's equivalent from back in the day, the Rampage.
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #54
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

its rather stock, dark grey one w 305/200 but ill get some pics someday

10 years a go we did have another 5th gen, 83 ss camino w/mild 350
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #55
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rytari View Post
its rather stock, dark grey one w 305/200 but ill get some pics someday

10 years a go we did have another 5th gen, 83 ss camino w/mild 350
So are you from Finland? If so, very cool. I didnt know they had caminos rolling around over there. My father has an 84' ss choo choo customs el camino with a rebuilt 305. As well as an 81' GMC Cabalerro Diablo with a 350, which is gmc's equivalent to an el camino ss.
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #56
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
So are you from Finland? If so, very cool. I didnt know they had caminos rolling around over there. My father has an 84' ss choo choo customs el camino with a rebuilt 305. As well as an 81' GMC Cabalerro Diablo with a 350, which is gmc's equivalent to an el camino ss.
yes, from finland, and i have noticed many times that peoples dont realise that instead of polar bears what all thinks we have and witch we dont... we have cars here...

i dont have any good picture of camino now so i link one from the previous owner...
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #57
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Really clean truck, I like those rims.
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #58
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

previous owner didnt sell those wheels&tires with the car so i have to find new ones for the summer...

and, before this goes too much Ot i should add some pics from xj taken by random friends

first 3 pirtures from this winter
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #59
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

more or less, ill just been driving and done nothing to it, thats weird, usually previously when i got chevy, it was always broken somewhere.

maybe nothing is too strong word... theres always something to do, like this "rear spring swap"... jeep leaned badly to passenger side so i took leafs out, little recurved those at work and fitted leaf that was passenger side to driver side and vice versa, now it looks better, not leaning but dont know how long it will last.

without having anything to do with my jeep, to did some summer "maintenance" to my friends cars

vs-1456 valve springs that i had did still have serious float issue, over 4k and engine stalls, finaly i found reasonable priced set of mopar performance springs, locks and retainers so i bought those and after some waiting i got package from mail, took out valve cover and started to change new ones...

... but those didnt fit, retainer i had would not fit in to the springs and locks, i contacted seller and he told i have ordered correctly and those should fit, but they must have send me wrong retainers... so i had to fit everything back, wait one month more and finaly monday i got retainers that fit

springs are noticeable bigger than old ones, but fit without any issues, i think valvetrain is now making a bit more noise than before but nothing else, and what comes for the rpm and float, i didnt even remember that rev limiter sounded bad

and, all that braggin about nothing been broken and bang.. traction bar looks like that... well, must make it stroger somehow.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #60
Rytari
1991 XJ Cherokee 

not much to tell, but anyway, jeep lost power for some reason, 35mph max speed i got and got lousy rpm response. First i thought that i have some sensor gone bad but after some wandering and wondering i came to conclusion that my beaten exhaust must be the cause.

not looking too bad, but inside the catalythic converter i found nothing... inside cell was broke to pieces and jammed inside muffler.

its 3rd catalytic and 4th muffler i had to replace so i had to rethink little, first i bougth new converter with metallic cell so it wont go in to pieces and behind that i made new muffler, both are stainless and rather thick wall so it should be durable, inside parts for the muffler i copied from one performace muffler, actually its quieter than previous setup, and much more flowing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.