D44 V2.0 build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > D44 V2.0 build

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

D44 V2.0 build

This is my rebuild of my 29th b-day present from my buddy in Kuwait, a D44 from an 89 MJ.

I've done one already:

I was in a little bit of a hurry to get it done and in, and was working on a semi-tight budget. This time I'm going to be doing a few more things that I wanted to do last time, but didn't have the time or money to do. Things that have been done to the existing D44 that will be getting transferred over:
Ford Explorer rear disc brake conversion
Superior Evolution series shafts

List of things to do:
Spring Over Axle, with TNT Customs 1.5" U-bolt eliminators
Sand blast housing, weld tubes, prime, paint
Centric Rotors, for a ZJ(I've heard they fit a little better), EBC Green Stuff pads (I just bought some cheep pads and rotors from Auto zone the last time)
Locker yet to be determined, but I'm thinking about trying to find a TJ Rubicon front air locker to use(rears have a LSD for when it's not locked and is usually the week point). My buddy Mike/gribbles did this on his and got it all(locker, actuator, Rubi air pump) for less than the cost of a Detroit.

Here it is as I purchased it, missing the drivers side axle shaft and backing plate

3.54 gears. Anyone know what that little bracket on the side of the diff is(next to the tag)? I'm pretty sure the MJ I pulled it from had the "Metric Ton Package", 2wd, D44, LSD, and heavy load helper springs.

The above mentioned Limited Slip Differential

Diff pulled

As well as axle shaft, sadly I will admit to trying to pull the diff before I pulled the shaft. I kept scratching my head as to why the diff wasn't coming out all the way. And yes I do know better, I've done this a few times now.

Passenger side spring perch cut off and ground down

Let me tell you, that was a pain in the butt to cut off. Cutting the welds alone wasn't going to happen, I ended up having to cut the perch into 4 sections(down the middle, length and width wise), then wedge a claw hammer in between them and pry them apart, and off one at a time.

I ran out of daylight, and am having to work outside since the shop is all tied up with other stuff right now, so I'm going to try and finish up tomorrow morning before I have to go to dinner with the families.

Monday I'll be back up here to the Bank to pay off the Jeep, grab the axle, and head to the sand blasters. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to have it done while I wait.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:

Last edited by RockRodHooligan; 01-22-2010 at 10:00 AM..
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Stripped, brackets cut off, and sealed up ready to go to the sand blasters tomorrow.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 04-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice man.

Getting it from an mj makes more work, but it'll be worth it.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
sean883
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good idea going with the front rubicon locker. I have been considering replacing my aussie with an arb but thier so expensive.
sean883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

my 44 lsd squeals the tires when i'm offroading. also when i power through turns... just food for thought.

and it recently sheared the cross pin under minimal throttle, destroyed everything in there... luckily i had new gears on order so everything was getting replaced anyways.
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S

Last edited by bikedude189; 10-01-2009 at 01:14 PM..
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
Nice man.

Getting it from an mj makes more work, but it'll be worth it.
Yeah it's a little more work but it also forces me to do some of the mods I couldn't justify the last time around(welded tubes, UBEs, ect.) I also may end up relocating my shocks when I do the swap, depending on what kind of shock mounts I can find. Besides, how could I turn down a free D44?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean883 View Post
Good idea going with the front rubicon locker. I have been considering replacing my aussie with an arb but thier so expensive.
A lot of the Rubicon guys do it too, as the rear locker is also a LSD(gear type) when not locked, and the LSD gears are a weak spot in the diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedude189 View Post
my 44 lsd squeals the tires when i'm offroading. also when i power through turns... just food for thought.
Yeah, the clutch packs are toast in this one, and with the regear happening anyway, I really want to lock it.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 04-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

thats awesome man. im doin one too cant wait to see what yours looks like!

-Sean
Unread 04-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Finally dropped it off at the sand blasters today, had a few issues yesterday trying to replace my x-member and tranny mount(as seen in my build thread). It should be ready next week some time, weather permitting, he blasts outside his shop.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 04-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well I picked up the axle from the sand blasters Monday, took it in to my Fab class and welded up the tubes, as well as filled in some of the plug welds.

I also may have a lead on a limited slip for it. My High Performance Engines instructor has been trying to get rid of this HP44 front axle from a 79 Bronco that he got as trade for some work, and has been sitting at his shop for a few years. He's asked me if I was interested in it on a few occasions, but I always turned him down because of the cast in radius arms. Well I recently found out Moser Engineering(located a few hours north of me) has the ability to press in new tubes(waiting on a price estimate), so I asked him about it. He said he'd sell it to me for $100, comes complete tire to tire, 4.10 gears and a limited slip. He doesn't know what kind of limited slip it is, but from the clientele he deals with, I guess it's not a crap one. I'm really hoping it's a Detroit Truetrac, if thats the case I will probably install it in the MJ44 rear and find an Aussie for the front, or buy another Detroit for the front with what I get from selling my current Detroit in my 30. I'll post more as I find out.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 04-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

So Moser doesn't have the ability to retube a 44, but I was pointed to Branick Motorsports in Ft. Wayne(Moser is also located around there), who came very highly recommended by the guys at NAXJA and Pirate4x4.

As it stands, I'm looking at Ford HP44 center section 3 1/8" OD, 1/2" wall DOM tube, and Solid Axle Industries 44 inner C's welded on with caster/pinion angle set, 61.5" WMS to WMS, with 5-5.5 Bronco knuckles and brakes, for about $800 total, less if I can get the tubes out of the housing before I take it to them, maybe around $700. Also, keep in mind, this price also includes the 4.10 gears, LSD, and locking hubs, that are included in the donor axle.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 05-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Latest update:

78 Bronco HP44, 4.10s, LSD, and Warn lock out hubs, for $100, and thats the MJ 44 rear in primmer next to it.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

The U-bolt eliminators were ordered today, they also come with high clearance shock mounts, I need to make a run to the JY for Explorer backing plates, selling the XJ 44 to Vassago with the brakes, but not the Superior shafts.
The plan to build the Bronco 44 has been scraped in place of getting a Waggy front, a lot cheeper and easier option.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
The U-bolt eliminators were ordered today, they also come with high clearance shock mounts, I need to make a run to the JY for Explorer backing plates, selling the XJ 44 to Vassago with the brakes, but not the Superior shafts.
The plan to build the Bronco 44 has been scraped in place of getting a Waggy front, a lot cheeper and easier option.
I can understand a waggy being easier, but why cheaper?

I would still consider doing the hp44. Having the pinion higher is a definite upside for many reasons.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
I can understand a waggy being easier, but why cheaper?

I would still consider doing the hp44. Having the pinion higher is a definite upside for many reasons.
The HP44 is from an 79 Bronco, with the cast in radius mounts and would need to be re-tubed to narrow it. at that point I started thinking about upgrading a bunch of parts(inner "C"s and axle shafts) since I was going to be screwing with them anyway, and things like the inner C's would be a one time thing, might as well make sure they are good.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
The HP44 is from an 79 Bronco, with the cast in radius mounts and would need to be re-tubed to narrow it. at that point I started thinking about upgrading a bunch of parts(inner "C"s and axle shafts) since I was going to be screwing with them anyway, and things like the inner C's would be a one time thing, might as well make sure they are good.
My bad, I didnt see the '79 part.

I would keep that housing for spare parts and such. I know people say that the stock Ford Hubs are stronger then the new Warn Premium hubs. At the very least you could use them as spares. Plus all the brake parts can be used as cores for when you buy new parts.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.