D30 with lockable hubs or move up to D44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > D30 with lockable hubs or move up to D44

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
wanagojeep
1989 XJ Cherokee 

D30 with lockable hubs or move up to D44

so one of my hubs is going out and i found a nice one at the JY and now im going through it cleaning it up and will but it on this weekend. but it made me start thinking. ive been thinking about axles and what i would like to have. id like to be locked front and might just go with a solid locker instead of a selectable to keep the cost down. but then im locked all the time in the front. so i figured to look into lockable hubs. that way i can unlock them before and after the trails for better control on the street. also less drag, better fuel econ, and easier on the drivtrain on the way to or from the trails. so i starting lookin around and seen some prices. yeah i guess ALL jeep parts are expensive. So roughly about $950 including tax, ship for the entire setup. Then i though about buying another D30 and go through all the seals and put all the new parts on that axle, locker, gear, hubs, brakes, lines and whatever else. that way i can jeep the jeep up and running while working on the axle and would have a spare. but then i though what about finding an axle with lockable hubs already on them, to keep down cost. like a D44 out of a ford f150 for instance. but then there is the need for new mounts, perches or brake changes.

so what i was woundering was should i keep my D30 and pay $900+ for hubs, then locker and gears or would finding a D44 with hubs and modify the axle. which would be the better, cheaper option?

im also looking into going up to a D44 for the rear. locked and geard of course

89 Jeep cherokee(21LTD cobra, Extra Lights, OBA, 6in mixed lift, 3-linked, 33x12.5 KM1, custom fab, x8000i warn, some trail mods and some other stuff)Join my club on facebook. Anyone can join. search for Hi-life offroad 4x4. Look for wanajeep http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/127500280643681/
wanagojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

It isnt worth the money for locking hubs in a 30. Find a low pinion dana 44 out of a FSJ Grand wagoneer to swap in. Its roughly the same width, or you can find a HP 44, but that would need to be cut to length or a rear axle of equivalent width swapped in. Your best bet is to search for wagoneer axle swaps and do lots of reading on it.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.