Cylinder 6 Misfire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cylinder 6 Misfire

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Good morning! So, we got this 98 Cherokee Classic 4.0 last summer and it having a misfire issue. It would blink the CEL under load and pulled a cylinder 6 misfire code. Replaced the plugs and wires last fall which fixed the CEL. The 6th plug was extremely gunked up.
Fast forward to this last weekend. It rained a lot, and we started up the Cherokee which began to high idle. Then it started misfiring and immediately threw the cylinder 6 code. Okay, no big deal. Pulled the 6th plug, it was good. Warrantied the wires, so they're new again. Checked the TB and it's clean. Reset ECM and if continues to misfire, but not under load. Just at idle, with occasional backfire. Hasn't pulled another code just yet.
So I'm not sure where to start. Did a bit of research and I think I should test the TPS and CPS? Maybe compression test the cylinder? I thought maybe fuel injector, but am not sure about that. I am thinking about trading the TPS from my 99 TJ into it so see if it changes. So any help or thoughts are appreciated. I'm sure you guys can give me some ideas. Thanks!

cbrant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Evening bump.
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

CEL now blinks when accelerating hard again. I realize that you aren't supposed to drive it if this happens. Can anyone help? Is this a heatsoak issue?
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

A TPS generally doesn't cause a single cylinder misfire. And the same for the crank sensor. This is how I would proceed if it were my XJ.

1. Swap the fuel injector from cylinder 6 into a different cylinder and see if the misfire follows.

2. Run a compression test on ALL cylinders and see where cylinder 6 sits in comparison to the others. The compression spec for the 4.0 is 120-150 with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders. Can't ignore the possibility of an internal engine issue. A compression gauge can be rented inexpensively from many parts stores; call around for availability.

Good luck and keep us posted!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.