Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 04-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way!

I originally planned on installing JCR Offroad Lower quarter panel armor along with their Stage 2 rear bumper I bought from them, but I wasn't at all happy with how bulky the corners were. So I decided to scrap the lower quarter armors and go with the much better cut and fold method and then modify the bumper ends to provide full protection for my quarter panels. I figured the extra work is well worth the clearance and protection I'm gaining. Here's my plan:

This entire process took me three hours, not including the seam sealer and the finish work. I will be providing precise measurements and explaining exactly where to cut and where to bend in a step by step, easy to follow color coded guide for those of you who want to do this mod, but aren't sure where to start and what all it entails.

TOOLS NEEDED:
  • 15mm Socket & (Air)Wrench
  • 10mm Socket or Driver Bit
  • Jack Stands or Ramps
  • Cutoff Wheel Either Numatic or Angle Grinder Type
  • Sawsall or Hacksaw
  • Abrasive Pad or Wire Wheel or Brush
  • (Body)Hammer, Tape Measure, Marking Paint or Pencil
  • Automotive Seam Sealer
  • Pop Rivet Gun & Rivets and/or Self-Tapping Sheet Metal Screws & Drill
  • Sandpaper, Body Filler(If Desired), Primer, Paint

Put the rear axle on jack stands or back up onto some ramps for easier access.

Remove the bumper using the 15mm socket.

Remove the gas fill hose cover panel and tail light housing using a10mm driver bit.

Cut all the way down along the bottom corner piece above the rear shackle and also all the way down along the rear weld seam. The dotted line here shows approximately where the inner piece was before I pushed it back to make my measurements.

Mark your measurements on the outermost edges of the exterior panel. Take in consideration that you should double check these measurements as each XJ is likely slightly different. However, after removing all the material here, there is a bit of give either way, so these measurements I'm providing should be right on.

Use a length of tape to mark the cut line and make your cut.

Cut horizontally level from the outer body line or bend line all the way into the corner. This was the only place I needed to use my sawsall. When making this cut, it is important that the actual cut line be approximately 1/16" higher than the outer bend line. This will take in account the thickness of the material and allow for a perfect outer finish bend.

Remove the material between the cuts. Make a short cut at about the angle shown so that there is no material hanging over after bending up the outer panel.

Apparently, I forgot to snap a couple photos, so you'll need to skip ahead and a couple to see where to cut off the front triangle so that you can push back the inner panel in order to make your measurements on it as well.

Make a line from the inner panel's bend line to the outer panel's bend line. This is represented by the dotted line. You are going to bend at this point up towards the rear, so don't cut it off there. Cut at least 1 1/4" below that line.

There are two strengthening ridges rolled into the factory inner panel. Be sure to grind those up a bit so that they do not interfere with the outer body panel after it is bent up into place.

Just in case someone notices, I should point out that I got ahead of myself on the passenger's side and cut straight across at 4 1/2" across that inner panel. The driver's side was done correctly. My mistake, your gain!

Bend it up making sure that it is approximately 1/16" higher than the inner and outer bend lines. This will again allow for a better fit after the inner and outer panels are bend up in to place.

Be sure to leave some material to bend underneath on this little triangle.

Cut straight down perpendicular to the outer bend line even with the front most edge you just bent up so that it folds under just right.

Flatten out the factory bend represented by the red dotted line.

Bend up the inner panel by hand. Be sure it fits and then massage it into place with a body hammer.

Pound in the area just a bit below the taillight housing so that the outer panel will fold up into place properly.

I thought I should include a couple shots of the driver's side. Take some time here so that you have a good fit with a straight edge inside that outer body line. By providing something to bend around, this will make bending up the outer panel much easier

Before bending up the outer panel, take a minute to clean off all the areas that will be getting seam sealer with a wire wheel.

I found that by drilling a 1/8" hole through the bottom layer of sheet metal, I was able to suck together the two pieces with a sheet metal screw. I will go back through later with my pop rivet gun all around the perimeter of both sides. I'll replace those few screws with rivets too.

Once it is all secured, bend over that little triangle.

I'll replace these few pictures and update this guide after I get the pop rivets in and the seam sealer on.

Seam Sealer and Pop Rivets installed. I'll make them look nice tomorrow.

EDIT: It would look much cleaner if the seam sealer was applied from the inside. I would have, but I didn't want to deal with taking apart the interior.

Gas Fill Lines Cover... CUT BEND FLATTEN

I opted to use some self-tapping sheet metal screws rather than pop rivets here since I had them readily available.

[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/#post9237914"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way![/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2000-xj-build-fully-armored-fully-capable-979162/#post8964962"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Verdana"]My 2000 XJ Build[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/B]

Last edited by Paraleyes; 06-22-2010 at 11:50 AM..
Paraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a preview of the side protection I'm adding to my JCR bumper. I will be cutting off flush with the bottom of the 2"X3" tubing at the bottom of the tape line along the side and back of the bumper.

Here's what I got done this evening:

I'm going to use the piece I cut off as a gusset for some extra strength and also to help prevent any hang ups on rocks where the back of the bumper hangs down further. Hopefully it will work well enough and slide right over the rocks. I get to welding the underside of everything in the morning. I'm hoping to get paint on it tomorrow.

I thought I'd share how straight and level the two end bars turned out.

Here's some more progress...

It looks SO much cooler from the back now!

Complete:

Check my build thread for more pictures.
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/#post9237914"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way![/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2000-xj-build-fully-armored-fully-capable-979162/#post8964962"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Verdana"]My 2000 XJ Build[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/B]

Last edited by Paraleyes; 04-12-2010 at 09:55 PM..
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
Dbiked
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So far i'm impressed, looks really good.
Utah jeep crew member #32
Dbiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! I was really bummed to find my camera battery was dead when I started. All those pictures were from my cell. I did my best to get some decent shots, but still... Well the battery is charged now, so I'll have some really clear shots of everything tomorrow. Plus I'm hoping to have enough time to get more done on the bumper mod tomorrow too.

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check out these fender flares from Napier Precision Products. Doug Napier developed an aftermarket fender flare for the XJ to provide a stock finished look to go with this cut and fold mod to the lower quarter panels. I was lucky enough to be able to test out the prototype. I'm liking the heck out of them! Take in consideration that I didn't cut them perfectly when I installed them. I got a little carried away on one spot. All the important things fit great though, so I'm sure these will be available to buy anytime now from Doug!

They definitely look way better than alternately having to just cut them off flush and leave a wide open hole. Thanks Doug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
did you trim your wheel wells or are they still factory size... I am wondering how they would work with trimmed wheel wells....
Yes, they are for cut out fender types. Anyone that has previously cut and folded their fenders will be able to bolt them right on. They allow the openings to be enlarged to the absolute maximum amount without separating the inner and outer body panels at the weld seams. There is more than enough room for 33" tires on a 4.5" lift. I actually cut away even more on the fronts. You can see how I folded a few sections of the fender outward at the weld seam so that I had even more solid backing for the underside to screw to.

Here's a couple, just because.

Unread 04-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
justanotherjpr

Really nice work, Jake!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Great write up. Im doing this in the next couple of weeks for my rigid bumper.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

hahah kinda what I started out with on my jeep but then just beat it up into submission. and I loved it.

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Gotta watch this one for sure.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
7urtle
2008 KK Liberty 

i like this
[URL="[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url]"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanted-xj-875786/#post10031031[/url][/URL] -[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Green"]1UMF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor[/COLOR]
7urtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice thorough write up. Looks great can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for taking the time to do the writeup,and provide all the measuremetns, and pictures to back it up!!
XJNUTTIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Man that must have taken some time editing all those photos but it is a great write-up!

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Really nice work, Jake!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7urtle View Post
i like this
Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
Great write up. Im doing this in the next couple of weeks for my rigid bumper.
When you get to it, please let me know what your two measurements are on your XJ. I'm talking about the 4 1/2" & 5 1/4" measurements. That way I can make a note of it in the OP. And thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNUTTIER View Post
Very nice thorough write up. Looks great can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for taking the time to do the writeup,and provide all the measuremetns, and pictures to back it up!!
Thank you. I could only find that one thread on NAXJA referring to this. Even though it was super helpful, I didn't like how it was done overall and I knew I could improve on it quite a bit, so I figured I may as well take notes on what I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Greenmachine View Post
Man that must have taken some time editing all those photos but it is a great write-up!
Thanks Greenmachine! Nah, it didn't take too long. I use a really old program to do most of my photo editing. Microsoft PhotoDraw V2 -I love that program!

Unread 04-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

If I have time I might get a start at it this weekend. Ill get you those measurements. I want to tear everything all apart at once, because I also want to drop the gas tank and POR-15 the rust underneath the floor panels before it rusts through.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
joec89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good, and good job on making a very organized write up with all the editing.
joec89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper building , cut and fold , fender cutting guide , lower quarter panels , side body armor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.