Custom tube doors - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Custom tube doors

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #31
Starboard M

Eric did an awesome job on these doors. When I saw them I assumed that he had bought them, the workmanship was that good.

Almost makes me wish I could fit some sort of tube door on mine, and Ive already gotten requests from my dad to make him a set

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #32
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow thanks for that compliment Matt.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #33
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I might have to go this route soon. Seems like I tweaked my a-pillar pretty good on a hard drop and now my front door doesn't close very well, even after I fixed the hinges.
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #34
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

did you ever look into using a stock door latch and handle with these?
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #35
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

im curious about the hinges on these. the bottom is 1 peice with a pin and the tops are 2 with a drop in pin? did you do that because of the angle on the latches in case of a roll over or something?
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #36
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
im curious about the hinges on these. the bottom is 1 peice with a pin and the tops are 2 with a drop in pin? did you do that because of the angle on the latches in case of a roll over or something?
Might just be a way to secure the doors. Can use a bolt for the top pin so someone can't just open and steal the door.
Unread 07-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #37
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
did you ever look into using a stock door latch and handle with these?
I considered it when I was researching what latches to use. I think it would be very difficult to do, and you would have to get the stock parts from somewhere which may or may not be easy. Stock door handles? That would look like crap IMO. Paddle handles look much cleaner and is the right part for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn
Might just be a way to secure the doors. Can use a bolt for the top pin so someone can't just open and steal the door.
The main reason I did them that way is because it was the easiest and most effective way I could come up with. I remember thinking about using a bolt through the top instead of a "pin", which is what I am using. But the threads don't really slide through the stock bushings which I am still using.

dcorn makes an excellent point about theft however, and it would really suck to have the doors stolen. I rarely park it in public places unattended and when I do I tend to focus more on interior security - not leaving valuables in plain view, etc. I think most theives are looking for that (valuables that they can reach in and grab) and wouldn't even consider that the doors could be taken off. Another jeep owner might see it and have a need for the doors but I certainly would hope that no self-respecting jeep owner would stoop that low!

Unread 07-12-2011, 05:06 AM   #38
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
I think most theives are looking for that (valuables that they can reach in and grab) and wouldn't even consider that the doors could be taken off. Another jeep owner might see it and have a need for the doors but I certainly would hope that no self-respecting jeep owner would stoop that low!
well some people in the offroad comunity do stoop that low.. shortly after i finished my halfdoors i had someone take my winch controller out of my center consol. really made me think about doorless type security.. i found this craftmans lock in my garage shortly after and did this

no more sticky finger pricks
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #39
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My solution is a) don't keep anything they would want in it, and b) if they do mess with the jeep there is the viper alarm to draw attention, plus there are a few other security upgrades...

Unread 07-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #40
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
My solution is a) don't keep anything they would want in it, and b) if they do mess with the jeep there is the viper alarm to draw attention, plus there are a few other security upgrades...
well for a DD and being young its harder (for me anyways) to not carry things someone might think they need more than i do, so the more locks the better IMO. i never saw the point in car alarm systems, you hear them go off plenty of times and you never see someone running up to help, not like they would know whos car it actually was anyway?

i think the best secuirty for any vehicle would be a nasty german shepard inside
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #41
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
i never saw the point in car alarm systems, you hear them go off plenty of times and you never see someone running up to help, not like they would know whos car it actually was anyway?
Car alarms are actually a very effective deterent to theft. If you are a thief and you have a lot full of cars to choose from, which ones will you target - cars with alarms, or those without? Most of the time when you hear an alarm going off in a parking lot it was because the car was bumped, not a burglary in progress. If it was a burglary, the thief found the car was alarmed and high-tailed it out of there. Not often will the thief stick around to try and steal something with people looking.

Unread 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #42
SAILOR_MIKE

These look so good! Nice work.
SAILOR_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #43
Bouasman_19

What latches would work for the older jeep Cherokee style still using the sleek handles IMO really look good.?
Bouasman_19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , doorless , latches , loop striker , tube doors

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.